Yellow Watchman Goby and Friends 55 Gallon Tank Upgrade Build Thread

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Watchman Goby is the sweetest fish I've ever had. We just bonded instantly. He/She looks ok in my 29 gallon tank, but I think would be happier in a bigger tank. I think I bought a bit too many rocks when I first started the tank and they and my macroalgae look quite cramped in the tank. Instead of stacking all the rocks reef style as they are now, I would like to try a shallow shore style with only one part of the tank having stacked rocks. I have to add an arch component since my Yellow Watchman Goby loves to hang out under the only arch in the tank. I would also like to leave a path in the middle of the tank with just sand since I thought that looks cool. I had been waiting for the dollar per gallon sale I heard about and it finally took place a few days ago. A few different size tanks were available at a dollar per gallon. I used to have a 40 gallon in the 90's but it didn't seem that much bigger than a 29 gallon, so I decided to get a 55 gallon. It wasn't a dollar per gallon, but, instead, 50% off. I still thought that was a good deal since I live in a relatively small town in Humboldt, California and good deals on aquariums for sale in the community are a bit rare. I picked it up yesterday and am in the process of checking it for leaks. Water is so precious so I thought I'd fill it with warm up water from showers and washing dishes. The picture here has a couple of days of warm up water I saved just before getting the tank. It will be a few weeks before I post an updated picture since I only have a few gallons of water per day. Looking at the tank, it seems too big, but I hope it's not. I will know for sure when I've moved everything into it. At this point I will not include a sump. Unfortunately my heaters, filter intakes, water pumps, skimmer and thermometer will all be visible in the display tank. The store I bought my tank from also has a top for that same tank. I am really looking forward to having that new top since my current top only has a narrow channel in the middle to allow light through with the front and back being solid black plastic. That will be nice since most of my plants are cramped in that middle section of the tank. I will try to better organize all the plugs and timers since they are just a mess right now. I have a piece of aluminum foil over my doser light because it is extremely bright and I didn't want it keeping my fish awake at night. I'll have to come up with a better looking solution for that. It won't be one of those many fabulous tanks you see on this site -- I think it will be more average. I especially admire all of you who have all your cords and equipment symmetrically laid out, but I am not at all mechanically inclined and wouldn't be able to figure all that out.

IMG_5164.JPG

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! Many really nice tanks on R2R that don't use sumps. But, you will probably need to do a lot of water changes to control nutrients.

I don't think the doser light will effect the fish at night. Those in the ocean seem to like some moonlight lighting things a little bit!

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about not having a sump. I've been running my 120g with a fluval fx6 canister for 6 years. Regular water changes, changing out media when needed. Stability is important.
You can hide some things in your tank with your aquascape. I wouldn't really worry too much about it though unless you have people critiquing your tank on a regular basis. If you like it, that's really all that matters.
This is mine a few days ago after cleaning and changing the aquascape.

Attachments

• 20210228_135627.jpg
    20210228_135627.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
Seabiscuit

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a couple of weeks to fill my aquarium with the warm up water I saved. I'm going to leave it overnight to do a final leak check. It's a new aquarium, but someone wrote a review that the new one they bought leaked. I am picking up my stand and hood that are both made for that specific aquarium next week. I've been washing 5 gallon buckets this week in preparation for the move. I hope it goes smoothly. Those 5 gallon buckets weigh over 40lbs when full! It will be a lot of work. I still hope the tank I bought isn't too big.

Attachments

• IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 68

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a couple of weeks to fill my aquarium with the warm up water I saved. I'm going to leave it overnight to do a final leak check. It's a new aquarium, but someone wrote a review that the new one they bought leaked. I am picking up my stand and hood that are both made for that specific aquarium next week. I've been washing 5 gallon buckets this week in preparation for the move. I hope it goes smoothly. Those 5 gallon buckets weigh over 40lbs when full! It will be a lot of work. I still hope the tank I bought isn't too big.
Is there such a thing as a tank that it to big? I didn't know that was a thing.

OP
OP
Seabiscuit

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped out the tanks. Goldzilla is sooo happy in the new big tank. I have a lot of work to do still, but I thought 7 hours without even sitting down was enough work for one day. A lot of my macroalgae came unglued from the rocks they were glued to. I put them in a little plastic tub at the bottom of the aquarium until I can re-glue them. I also have to move my corals and sponges to my high rock so I can reach them more easily each time I have to feed them. I bought the wrong size hood so I had to place some chopping boards on top of the tank so Goldzilla wouldn't jump out. I got the right size today. I still have to adjust them a bit. I got a bigger shelf for the front of the tank so I have some more room to work with. My rocks are placed just where I want them. I have a tall spot on the right, a sand path in the middle and an arch/cave for Goldzilla. I'll try and take some better tank shots when it is dark, but I love the view of my yard outside, so I have a glare on my tank during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_5181.JPG
    IMG_5181.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 63

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back