Yellowhead jaw staying in den?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change Saturday and and moved a little aquascaping and he went in his den and I have not seen him since, its been two days. Should I be concerned?

He was totally eating heathy, prophylactically treated with copper, Praz, and fed Metroplex/focus before going into the DT, and he is alone in the tank.

Do they hide like this for a few days sometimes?

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are very shy and will hide for a ling while. Are you sure he doesnt have a opening any where else? are you sure that a you didnt collapse his tunnel when you eas moving rock? did you move any that was on the sand or over his tunnel?

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are very shy and will hide for a ling while. Are you sure he doesnt have a opening any where else? are you sure that a you didnt collapse his tunnel when you eas moving rock? did you move any that was on the sand or over his tunnel?

I did not collapse his den. When I didn't see him all day yesterday, I carefully removed his "door" a small shell covering his den entrance and a bit later, he sealed the entrance back up again, so he's definately alive. I probably spooked him worse by messing with his "door"

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I bet you did. They are very very shy. He will come when he knows it safe and when he wants. That's what i love about them guys. I think their the coolest fish. Just keep it calm in the tank.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I bet you did. They are very very shy. He will come when he knows it safe and when he wants. That's what i love about them guys. I think their the coolest fish. Just keep it calm in the tank.

Thanks, it's really amazing how smart and perceptive to slight changes they are.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was added to DT after QT on 8/12

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jawfish has still not emerged from his den, so he has not eaten. I'm getting concerned. I was thinking of removing the shell covering his hole and using a turkey baster to gently put some food down his hole.

Is this a bad idea? Should I just let it be?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back