Yet another Apex programing question....

Xyloxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, so I've scoured the internet and the forums within it and it seems I cannot come up with an answer I'm looking, I'm asking googles wrong, I'm coding it wrong or, it just cant be done.

Scenario: I have a 1/4" hose running from my RO/Di in the basement to my ATO reservoir which is next to my tank up stairs. A smart buddie booster supplies the pressure needed. A Neptune solenoid is in line between the RO unit and ATO reservoir. Here comes the issue I've run into.

Inside the reservoir I have 2 optical sensors, a Hi and a Low. Ideally, I would like for the solenoid to open when the low sensor is open and stay on until the high sensor is closed, filling the reservoir. After, I would like for the reservoir to empty via the ato as usual until the low sensor is open again, repeating the process.

The way I have it programed now, for some reason, the low sensor will open, the solenoid opens and all is good until....The low sensor closes and then the solenoid closes.

Simply put, I want the reservoir to fill completely, empty completely, fill completely etc.

My coding for the solenoid is as follows.

Fallback OFF
If ATO_LO OPEN Then ON
If ATO_HI CLOSED Then OFF

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your programming is correct, and the solenoid should remain On until the water reaches the upper sensor.

The only explanation I can see for it to behave incorrectly is if you have any duplicate names in your Apex configuration. Any duplicates can cause the Apex to randomly misbehave. Go through your list of Inputs, Outputs, Modules, and Profiles to be sure no two items are named the same (even across categories, such as an Output named the same as a Module). If you find any duplicates, rename them, then reboot the Apex to load the corrected configuration.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Xyloxo

Xyloxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your programming is correct, and the solenoid should remain On until the water reaches the upper sensor.

The only explanation I can see for it to behave incorrectly is if you have any duplicate names in your Apex configuration. Any duplicates can cause the Apex to randomly misbehave. Go through your list of Inputs, Outputs, Modules, and Profiles to be sure no two items are named the same (even across categories, such as an Output named the same as a Module). If you find any duplicates, rename them, then reboot the Apex to load the corrected configuration.
Excellent point. I'll go check. Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Xyloxo

Xyloxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks good. I will fill the resivior, let it empty, monitor and troubleshoot if and when needed. Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my apex program

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Lo_H2O OPEN Then ON
If Hi_H2O CLOSED Then OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON

I ran into some issues where I my return pump and skimmer had a program that turned my ato off when my pump or skimmer was off. It would cause the above program to glitch out sometimes

Upvote 0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my apex program

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Lo_H2O OPEN Then ON
If Hi_H2O CLOSED Then OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON

I ran into some issues where I my return pump and skimmer had a program that turned my ato off when my pump or skimmer was off. It would cause the above program to glitch out sometimes
The code you posted is for standard ATO top off, where the water level will be lept at the low sensor position under normal circumstances, and the upper sensor is just acting as a failsafe if the lower sensor malfunctions.

The original question above is a different situation, where the water will be turned on when the low sensor is dry, but then remain on until it finally refills to the upper sensor at the top of the holding reservoir.

The key difference is the "Set OFF" statement. For a normal top-off to keep the water at the lower sensor at all times, the Set OFF command turns off the water when the low sensor detects water. When refilling a whole reservoir, do not use the Set OFF command. This allows the water to remain on even after the low sensor is wet again, and only the upper sensor can turn it off.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back