Yet another Madarin Question

cmattdvc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, I've picked up a Madarin, he was a rescue from a tank that was getting shut down quickly. I've had no contact with the owner of the tank, I got him from a friend of a friend.

I know that they eat pods and I put an entire bottle into my tank (29 biocube) last night after lights out. I used a turkey baster and "seeded" the rock all through the tank. I will move him into a 60 gallon shallow mixed reef tank in the next two weeks.

My question is this, how often do I need to add pods, or how many bottles do I need to add to get ahead of his eating?

My new tank will have a 'fuge and I will attempt to grow them there so they can get into the dt from there. But I want to keep him alive and healthy until I can get him into the new tank.

Thanks
Matt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't hurt to add pods once a week or more depending on how many are in each bottle. Think about this..... Mandarins have such a short digestive tract that they have to eat constantly to maintain their health. So maybe he eats a pod per minute.... I suck at math so I'll leave that to you. I was hatching baby brine shrimp to help supplement my mandarin's diet and using a mandarin feeder that I built following Paulb's model. It worked until ick broke out badly in my tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
cmattdvc

cmattdvc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was a foil pack with a clear back and a little pour spout. I can't remember the type and I'm at work right now.

It had some cheito (did I spell that right?) in it also.

It can from a lfs.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was a foil pack with a clear back and a little pour spout. I can't remember the type and I'm at work right now.

It had some cheito (did I spell that right?) in it also.

It can from a lfs.
Actually, if it's the ones I'm thinking of, they are the right ones. Was there a little bot of cheato mixed in?

seth999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seeded my tank once with pods as well as a rubble pile in my sump. They will go around about constantly picking pods and thing off the rocks. I only feed live or frozen foods to the fish, I noticed that mine would start searching for brine shrimp when I would feed. It would go around picking up all the little pieces of shrimp in the frozen stuff but wouldn't eat the whole shrimp until the pieces were gone. I never saw it eat a live one. I made sure there was baby brine or some broken up pieces when I fed and haven't had to reseed pods yet and it's been about 1.5 years.

OP
OP
cmattdvc

cmattdvc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I did a entire bag last night.

So add some (like an entire bag) rubble (I've got some I can add) to the 'fuge area and hope for the best?

RafaelsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Train the mandarin to eat frozen, they only way youll have long term success.
I've gotten my red ruby scooter to eat LRS

OP
OP
cmattdvc

cmattdvc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got frozen shrimp now. The little cubes.

Is that a good frozen to start?

OP
OP
cmattdvc

cmattdvc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melypr1985 sorry about the ick breakout.

RafaelsReef what is LRS?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back