Yet another terrible report of hair algae

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just another in a long list of threads regarding hair algae; however, I think that each case is unique and I'd like to get some personalized feedback to make sure I'm doing what my tank needs rather than someone else's.

I have a 90 gallon tank, with a 30 gallon sump (between 1/2 - 2/3 capacity). I run a filter sock which I replace or rinse out every other week. Octo skimmer which I run constantly and shoot for a viscous skimmate that I remove once a week - that's about how long it take to get close to filling. I'm sorry but I've forgotten the name of the return pump that I'm using but if I recall correctly flow rate was about 500-600 gph. I've got dual maxspect gyre xf230s running on oceanic gyre cycle. My last piece of hardware are the two marine orbit pro led fixtures that I have positioned directly above the tank (~2" above water level). These run from 8am - 10.30pm at 90% White, and 100% RGB.

My tank is a mixed reef tank that has been set up for about 9-10 months and contains 3 male and 3 female anthias (I know this is discouraged, but they are doing GREAT and the dynamic is truly interesting - I'd be happy to discuss this in another thread or PM as they are my favorite to watch interact). I also have 2 frostbite clownfish, one fang tooth blenny, two blue green chromis, and 1 royal gramma. Inverts consist of 2 sandsifting starfish, green BTA, sea hare, two emerald crabs, feather duster worm, multiple hermits, and multiple snails. I noticed about an hour ago that at some point in the last 48 hours I lost my skunk shrimp, affectionately named "Creeper". All fish have been in the tank for 3 months or longer and none are showing any sign of stress or poor health aside from the loss of the shrimp.

Corals for the tank include zoas, scroll, monti, acros, shrooms, xenia, star polyp, and paly. There are more but I think that is most of them.

About 2 and a half months ago I upgraded my light going from just the basic orbit led to the marine pros. I gradually adjusted light intensity to acclimate fish and coral to enhanced light. No changes made to photoperiod. I noticed some corals bleaching and dropped it back, taking two weeks to adjust light. During this time my BTA was hiding and I was concerned that it would die. Its been out for a month now and hasn't moved since. As you can see from my embarrassing photo, the algae is out of control. The sea hare only eats for a couple of hours (~2 at most) a day and then retreats to a corner, cave, or under a rock (I've watched and no one harasses him). I've tried to help remove algae manually by plucking it off - I let it get sucked up into overflow and then empty the filter sock because theres just SOOO much and I can only pinch of a little at a time. I follow behind what I did with a tooth brush and scrub off the remainder. I'm hesitant to do too much of this at once because I know that I'm removing beneficial bacteria too. I normally wait 2-3 days in between 4"x4" sections.

By the time progress starts to be made in one area of the tank, its regrowing in another. I've reduced the food tremendously, I don't think I should reduce further - fish eat ALL food in under 1-1.5 minutes. I feed twice a day (Previously I fed 3 times a day). I've considered reducing photoperiod or intensity but I don't want the BTA to go back into hiding or to reduce light from my corals - which seem to be oddly happy except for two that got hit too hard by initial light change. I've used H2O2 once before to handle a small bout of hair algae 2 months after I started the tank. This did a number on surrounding (within 6" of site of administration) zoas and palys.

I've let my embarrassment get the best of me and I've waited too long to approach you all for advice. Any tips you can give me that you think will help I would truly appreciate. I'm doing my best to learn how to give these animals a wonderful place to live while also enjoying a slice of the reef. Thanks in advance.

Jon
IMG_20190418_201344.jpg

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t look too terrible, embrace it :)
I would definately shorten the light period, your at 14 hours.
What are your nitrate and phosphate levels at?
A few more snails wouldn’t hurt.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
“Vibrant” would make short work of that hair algae! I had horrible hair algae that kept getting worse and was killing off my coral from shading the base. I did the min dose for 6 weeks and my algae is 99% gone. It will clean up your tank. My lps were a bit unhappy with the reduced nutrients, but my acros loved it! Now I use it as a maintenance with a dose once a month.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Don't feel too bad I have one tank that's driving me nuts with ha ! Outside Brian's suggestion is what I would & have done. Making a noticeable dent in it. get those nutrients down any way Ya can . Snails, urchins ,turbos etc.

U

User1

View Badges
I will second Vibrant but with a "use with caution" flag. It works, it works very well. However, you need to do a few things in parallel so that the die off nutrients cause another bloom. Trust me I know this first hand. I noticed Vibrant cleared one whole glass pane of algae within 12 hours. The next day some rocks cleared up. On the third day it was all gone but on the substrate. Day four it all came back with a vengance. Skimmer needs to be in prime order and you should do a weekly water change with timing such that you do it before your next dose. Also run carbon.

There is a good thread on Vibrant, it is very long, but you will get some very good information from it if you don't mind reading through it. Really at the end of the day your parameters may report low but that is because the algae is consuming it. So then you are throwing bacteria at it and, well, things happen and the waste nutrients need to be removed. Something to think about.

Also my tank is 10x worse right now per my note above. I'm slowly working away the GHA and doing water changes once a week until it clears up.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow gha in my sump using a kessil grow light, I grow tons in a home made egg crate, it out competes the tank and I’ve never had any show up in the tank.. if you can’t beat em, join em lol! If you’d like me to post a pic I will

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re at the point where you should be doing at least one of three things to reduce nitrates and phosphates to levels where hair algae can’t thrive (a good figure is 5ppm nitrates & .03ppm phosphates:

1: Weekly water changes using reverse osmosis water and a quality salt mix

(Shoot for 10% tank volume spread out through the week as doing larger water changes in one shot can be stressful to your tank. Think “acclimation”)

2: A refugium or algae turf scrubber (sump or HOB)

3: Carbon dosing using vinegar, vodka, Red Sea No3Po4x or a biopellet reactor.

(You’ll be emptying your skimmer cup FAR more often, lol)

Either method combined with manual removal should completely annihilate hair algae within a few weeks.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are all fantastic! Thank you so much for your tips and advice. I'll try a combination of a few of these and gradually become more aggressive with it, adding more extreme options as the weeks go on if no change occurs or things take a turn for worse. Again, thank you all!

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are all fantastic! Thank you so much for your tips and advice. I'll try a combination of a few of these and gradually become more aggressive with it, adding more extreme options as the weeks go on if no change occurs or things take a turn for worse. Again, thank you all!

Oh and don’t be afraid to toothbrush scrub that rock, your not going to “remove” enough bacteria that it matters.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could just get an urchin or two and wait. Specially if everything else(like the corals) look fine.
Look through some threads about Vibrant before you try that. It's not a miracle product without drawbacks. It's a gamble IMO.
If you try to starve the algae by lowering the nutrients you'll end up starving the corals as well(and risk getting cyano or dinos instead).
The hair algae like the same water as the corals. You just need to find the right grazers IMO. And urchins are great :)

Last edited:

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replacing socks every OTHER week? that may be pumping out a lot of nutrients. at least weekly seems to be the way to go.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My “ah ha!” moment was with my 36 gallon tank and when I started using a gravel vac during water changes. I had been fighting excessive nutrients by cutting back on feeding, increasing tank flow, etc. It turned out my sandbed had become the main source of nitrates & phosphates. I think many people overlook that as a source and assume the bacteria and critters in the sand will take care of the problem. The truth is there’s only so much either can do.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting GHA too, and yesterday I tried the boiling water with a turkey baster trick. It works fabulously! After that, it brushes right off.

MagicMiller72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow gha in my sump using a kessil grow light, I grow tons in a home made egg crate, it out competes the tank and I’ve never had any show up in the tank.. if you can’t beat em, join em lol! If you’d like me to post a pic I will
Gonna try this once I get my sump running.
I have A 55 gallon Main. Can you direct me towards a good size or proper sump for my tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back