Can I run a mixed reef tank with only two HOB filters (for filtration)?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sure it has been done (HOB only), and feel free to link me to threads/post pictures, but I have been toying with the idea of running a "bigger" tank (40 gallon) with two Tidal 55 filters. One as a standard HOB and one as a DIY refugium. I would still run a heater, wave maker (probably an oversized gyre), ATO (mechanical float valve), and a dosing pump. . . it would be ugly sure, but that has never stopped me before. . .

Why would I want to do this? I don't know. . . for the "challenge" maybe (might be easier than I am thinking)? . . for simplicity (FEELS simple, but would it be? I don't know)? For giggles?

Not really sure but it has been on my mind for a minute. . . I have an 11 gallon reef growing SPS with only HOB filtration (technically I added an air powered skimmer recently but that was for CO2 scrubbing purposes/experimentation).

Just sort of brainstorming in thread form. . . anyway, what are your thoughts?

EDIT: I guess it seems like an answered my own question "I have an 11 gallon reef growing SPS with only HOB", but I do big water changes in that tank, even if I am just siphoning the junk off the bottom I end up taking out about 25% of the water. . . I would not plan on doing 25% weekly water changes on a 40 gallon. . .

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weekly water changes are game changers if you have the dilligance to keep up with it.

However most in the hobby can only do it for so long before cost / effort runs out, and then ends up letting it go to a mess, which then it cross a point of no return, and they give up on the hobby afterwards.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back