Yet another thread for a 40B build

Nuisance_algae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am putting together a 40b and wanted to share my ideas and progress. I have everything set up ready to get it wet so pictures will follow. My plan is to have a mostly LPS tank and maybe a nem. The list below is the equipment I will be using:

-Aqueon 40b
-2x Sicce Voyager 2 powerheads
-Aquamaxx Prism II LED
-Tidal 55 HOB filter
-Aqueon heater

My wish list for livestock other than corals are:

1x firefish
1x YWG with tiger pistol shrimp
1x bengaii cardinal (maybe more not sure if they'll play nice with each other, if anyone knows please let me know)
1x gold stripe maroon clown
1x 6 line wrasse

Let me know what y'all think and if you see any problems or have any advice. Thanks in advance.

ChaseS10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on something pretty similar myself. Looking forward to following along. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yet-another-thread-for-a-40b-build.1016734/#post-11891750
On my build I'm using a tidal 75, and I think I could have gone larger. I have two large power heads, and used fine sand, and have had a little issue with it blowing around. I finally found the sweet spot. I do plan to run a sump eventually, and plan to switch my HOB filter to my quarantine tank when that time comes.

OP
OP
Nuisance_algae

Nuisance_algae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late night work trying to get these rocks glue together
20231102_205600.jpg

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents on the YWG and pistol: the YWG rarely stay that true, beautiful yellow and often turn brown-ish. The tiger pistol is going to make a mess of your substrate and kick it all over the corals you have on the bottom third of the tank. I have a candy cane pistol and Randall's Shrimp Goby paired and they may be my favorites of the whole tank. The candy cane does frequently rearrange things as he sees fit, but he's so tiny that he can't displace whole pieces of rockwork or cover my coral in sand. The Randalls Goby is hysterical with his "banner flag" top fin that he frequently flares up and down depending on his mood.

OP
OP
Nuisance_algae

Nuisance_algae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents on the YWG and pistol: the YWG rarely stay that true, beautiful yellow and often turn brown-ish. The tiger pistol is going to make a mess of your substrate and kick it all over the corals you have on the bottom third of the tank. I have a candy cane pistol and Randall's Shrimp Goby paired and they may be my favorites of the whole tank. The candy cane does frequently rearrange things as he sees fit, but he's so tiny that he can't displace whole pieces of rockwork or cover my coral in sand. The Randalls Goby is hysterical with his "banner flag" top fin that he frequently flares up and down depending on his mood.
Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll go that route and add a gramma for a pop of yellow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back