Yoder's first tank - SCA 120

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! After tons of reading, watching 1000 hours of BRS YouTube, and lots of wife-convincing, I've got my first reef tank up and cycling!

IMG_20220220_002558.jpg

IMG_20220220_002448.jpg

The tank is an SCA 120 gallon Starfire drilled for a Synergy Shadow overflow. I used a Modular Marine 1600 GPH because I like the design better.

Equipment is as follows:

• 3x SmatFarm less with a DIY mount
  • Jebao DCP 6500 return pump
  • Inkbird temp controller with two Hygger titanium 200w heaters
  • Jebao SCP-120 gyre
  • Simplicity 240 DC skimmer
  • Amazon fuge light
  • 40B sump with a JaxRacks baffle kit
  • MagTool ATO with a 10 gallon tank as an ATO reservoir
  • Stand made by a coworker from 3/4 Baltic birch and hardwood

Also decided to QT from the beginning, and got a 20 high, copper power / metroplex, and a Hanna copper tester.

Currently cycling the display tank with Dr.Tim's One and Only with ammonium chloride and Microbacter7

I currently have no idea on a stocking list for fish or coral, I only know I want two clowns and a yellow watchman goby.

Last edited:

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen fabric flaps stapled to the inner edge of one of the doors as a fix for the light leak. That is a TON of light spill though. You're probably going to get quite a bit of algae buildup in all of the sump compartments.

OP
OP
Yoder

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that aquascape looks great!
Thanks! It was inspired by the recent HNSA video BRS did. I bought two buckets of Marco 400 cement, and used almost NONE of it. I found it hard to use and not as strong as the thin superglue/rock dust technique. I hope I have enough space to place corals. I plan on plopping a couple islands down in the next few days.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It was inspired by the recent HNSA video BRS did. I bought two buckets of Marco 400 cement, and used almost NONE of it. I found it hard to use and not as strong as the thin superglue/rock dust technique. I hope I have enough space to place corals. I plan on plopping a couple islands down in the next few days.
yup thats the method I went with too. Marco cement is pretty useless... thin ca glue plus rock dust is the way to go

OP
OP
Yoder

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220227_172127.jpg

Made an ATO top off from a blank yard sign from Home Depot.

IMG-20220227-WA0009.jpg

Made a screen top frame for my QT tank...

IMG-20220227-WA0006__01.jpg

But I made the frame fit too well, there's no room to route the cords or air hoses. Haven't decided yet if I will notch the frame or just make it a little shorter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back