You and your experiences with starfish!

Gumbies R Us

God, Bouldering, and Reefing
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
30,925
Reaction score
54,402
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you are like my wife @AlyciaMarie you love starfish. However, you always hear stories about them not being "reef safe". So I want to hear from you, as a community, your experiences with these creatures. Do you think they are worth having, or would you never have one again?

Spongebob Squarepants Love GIF
 
In an established tank they do ok not great. I had mine for 3.5 years. The current serpent star for over 2 years but they are easier to keep.

20220715_102700.jpg
 
Assuming this extends to Asterinas as well:

I was always on the boat of Team Asterina Safe.

When I saw posts of people claiming them eating corals, I just told them "your corals were already dying, and the stars were just cleaning up the dying thing like they do as detritovores and scavengers"

But then recently, I saw them chomping on a perfectly healthy zoa. Then I saw a couple on the base of a few of my smooth skin SPS chomping away. So now I have a harlequin. I believe it's the variant with red and black splotches that are most dangerous.

As for the bigger stars, I just have serpent stars; I firmly believe that 99% of big starfish don't belong in reef tanks: whether it's because they starve (linkia, fromia) or they are not reef-safe (chocolate chip)
 
Assuming this extends to Asterinas as well:

I was always on the boat of Team Asterina Safe.

When I saw posts of people claiming them eating corals, I just told them "your corals were already dying, and the stars were just cleaning up the dying thing like they do as detritovores and scavengers"

But then recently, I saw them chomping on a perfectly healthy zoa. Then I saw a couple on the base of a few of my smooth skin SPS chomping away. So now I have a harlequin. I believe it's the variant with red and black splotches that are most dangerous.

As for the bigger stars, I just have serpent stars; I firmly believe that 99% of big starfish don't belong in reef tanks: whether it's because they starve (linkia, fromia) or they are not reef-safe (chocolate chip)
That's what I have heard about asterinas! Some say they are fine but you can get unlucky and have them be the zoa eating ones!
 
So if you are like my wife @AlyciaMarie you love starfish. However, you always hear stories about them not being "reef safe". So I want to hear from you, as a community, your experiences with these creatures. Do you think they are worth having, or would you never have one again?

Spongebob Squarepants Love GIF
Yes, many, but not all starfish eat coral.
 
Them being reef safe has nothing to do with it the majority of the time. The fact that their rate of mortality in a very short time period is what should discourage people. Theyre also far more intelligent than most hobbyists seem to believe they are...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new