You didn't really need this at all for your reef.....

Do you ever find "reef stuff" sitting on a shelf that you didn't really need at all?

• YES often

Votes: 152 46.6%
  • YES but rarely

Votes: 135 41.4%
  • NO I only buy stuff I need and will use

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know how many API test kits are discarded 1/2-3/4 full after people upgrade.

Also, I discarded a complete Kalkwasser kit just last week. I bought it in 2017, went a different route and it expired. I bought a new one, and I'm actually using parts of it!

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know how many API test kits are discarded 1/2-3/4 full after people upgrade.

Also, I discarded a complete Kalkwasser kit just last week. I bought it in 2017, went a different route and it expired. I bought a new one, and I'm actually using parts of it!
Botta toss mine out. Although I might actually have the only accurate test they've ever made lol

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Botta toss mine out. Although I might actually have the only accurate test they've ever made lol
I started cycling rock in a Brute, so I needed an Ammonia test. But the stores only had Ammonia alone at like $2-3 less than the full API test. So I bought the full kit.

I sort of wish Red Sea would do the standard test kit with just a small portion of Ammonia testing and Nitrite testing, and a proportionate increase of all the others.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started cycling rock in a Brute, so I needed an Ammonia test. But the stores only had Ammonia alone at like $2-3 less than the full API test. So I bought the full kit.

I sort of wish Red Sea would do the standard test kit with just a small portion of Ammonia testing and Nitrite testing, and a proportionate increase of all the others.
Man I had the hardest time starting my tank. Went through 10+ leaks, broken Bulkheads and tubing, big scratch dead center, imperfection (big butt bubble in glass), had the tank completey scaped with sand, water, cycled, and ready for fish before I noticed it and had to return it for a new one..

Ended up having ammonia issues and needed to pour over 200 Gals worth of bacteria for a 90 gal tank and just hardly cycled it after 3 months of trying.

I refused to give up lol

Got the fish yesterday after 6 months of saving and getting parts and 3 months of attempting to cycle

Attachments

• 20220609_125646.jpg
    20220609_125646.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 38

coraldreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff I trip over until I box it up to send to friends that need it or can put it to use. Don’t dwell on what it is but helping others
The biggest thing now is box’s of Marco rock. Any takers lol
I might Play on the Marco rock but shipping might cost more than the rock

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i used to hoard all kinds of stuff. I still do that but way smarter. I buy stuff i know for sure i will use. I buy pippettes, glue, activated carbon and filter floss in bulk. additives, salt , and other essentials ... i keep a month supply. I'll check the threads if things are rare and pick them up so i am not left with an empty hand.

so basically yeah.... i still hoard. lol

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have way to much stuff. I bet I have 20 different heaters, I have a UV sterilizer I will never use, I think I have 5 skimmers not in use, and 3 sets of lights. And I am sure there's more.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some years back I bought a Reef Octopus biopellet reactor. Never opened it; still has the plastic on the box.
Anyone interested? ;-?

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much every day, haha! You think you want/need something, get it in, use it for a week, only to find out you don't need nor want it. haha, i can't be alone on this!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this a fun, but really important thread that helps for me define the roles the 2(+) year reefers that have had moderate success help out those on a steep learning curve.

The industry is full of products and approaches that are not backed up my controlled lab studies that end up making those learning think that you can "make" your tank do something

Basics, patience, one incremental change one at a time and coming to this forum, local clubs, and respectable LFSs are the real potions in starting up

and yes, I have a shelf of junk that I would pour down the drain, but am afraid of creating a new EPA super fund site...

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff I trip over until I box it up to send to friends that need it or can put it to use. Don’t dwell on what it is but helping others
The biggest thing now is box’s of Marco rock. Any takers lol
100% I will take as much Marco rock as you have. I have a 29g BioCube, I was getting on here to post for a trade. Looking to fill my 20g refugium with a bunch of rock. Or I can pay you for it. Does any of this sound good?

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some years back I bought a Reef Octopus biopellet reactor. Never opened it; still has the plastic on the box.
Anyone interested? ;-?
I have a basically brand new AI Hydra 26 HD. When I say basically, it's been on two or three times to make sure it works. I didn't even take off the original wire tie on the cable from the factory.

Why? I had a Biocube with an AI Prime. I bought this for the eventual upgrade, which didn't come to fruition until this year (I bought this in 2018). It was too much light for the Biocube, and I've decided to go a different route with my lighting.

I'm going to try to list it locally, and if that fails it will be here.

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a simple ato with a float valve a few months ago. Thought it was a great idea at the time, but now I am questioning why I bought it in the first place when my 75 gallon African cichlid tank doesn't really lose so much water that i can't fill it by hand myself. It happens to me a lot when I buy anything aquarium related.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a simple ato with a float valve a few months ago. Thought it was a great idea at the time, but now I am questioning why I bought it in the first place when my 75 gallon African cichlid tank doesn't really lose so much water that i can't fill it by hand myself. It happens to me a lot when I buy anything aquarium related.
I bought one with float valves for my old tank and never installed it for the same reason you state. Put it on my new tank and all I can think is "Why the heck didn't I do this one the old tank?!?!?"

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every once in a while I gets things I never need, but my oh my am I so happy when I need something and I have it on hand. For that reason I never feel bad getting a few things I dont end up needing here and there.

Better to have it and never need it, then need it and not have it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't really need this at all...

I had a room FULL of stuff I bought for my reef but never really needed it. Some of the stuff I didn't even open! Do you ever buy things you don't really need? Let's talk about it!

What is something you've purchased for your reef that you didn't really need at all?

wasting money man.jpg
I have many ATOs that just lurk in the cupboards. I’m sure it’s gotten to a point where I’m being haunted by them…

I also have about 5-6 tanks just laying around behind my shed in the garden, I don’t actually know how I got most of them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back