Your Experience with Ruby Red Dragonets

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a crush on Ruby Reds for awhile and 2 weeks ago I found some at my LFS. I got a male and female. In short, they both died yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone else has had success with them?

My QT Plan
I know they need pods so I put them in my 50 gal frag tank that has a fuge. The resident bully damsel took a vacation to the sump so that they were not bothered. I QTd a mandarin for a friend in the frag tank about a year ago and he put on weight, so I know the tank can generate plenty of pods. I also added more pods 3 & 9 days in just to be sure. I also hatched brine to feed daily and saw them eat the tiny brine. I increased water changes due to the increased food/ inhabitants. They appeared to be well, constantly hunting for pods and then they just died. Obviously this could have been disease, but it was not anything I could see. That they died on the same day makes me even more curious. Ugh... I just hate to see them die. Normally, I wouldn't even have these photos because I try to avoid getting attached to fish until they are like 30 days into QT, but they were too cool not to photograph.

Do they look like they were a decent body weight ? Photo below is about a week in and I thought they looked like they had filled out a tiny bit. I don't have tons of familiarity with what a healthy one looks like, especially body weight wise, so maybe they were starved when I got them.

P_20180729_141413 (1).jpg
P_20180729_141528 (1).jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in the photo look painfully thin.
I kept a single ruby spot feeding freeze dried rotifers every day while other tank mates were kept busy chasing other larger food items. These fish like to eat, and ideally their tanks will have lots of pods present so they can feed all day. They feed very slowly and methodically pic small items from directly in front of them. They are not easy to keep with aggressively feeding tank mates.
I traded him in because feeding was too time consuming, and I was expanding into a larger tank that would have made spot feeding him very challenging.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back