542684BC-9C08-4B70-80AC-3786F7240CEB.jpeg
I have two and love them. Lift heavy rock with ease

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these and love them. I bought to feed my trigger and move things around. They have a serrated inside to help grab and the ends have rubber tips. I have the longer version since my tank is 24” deep. Now my hands don’t get wet anymore

54FE564D-4C4E-49DF-9755-BBB435CDB590.png

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really want the maxspect ones but they are never in stock. Totally rust-proof as they aren't metal and they are neutrally buoyant if you drop them. Silicone tips for delicate handling.
Screenshot-2020-09-24-at-21.42.34.png
That thing is pretty sweet! Especially for smaller precision work.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these and love them. I bought to feed my trigger and move things around. They have a serrated inside to help grab and the ends have rubber tips. I have the longer version since my tank is 24” deep. Now my hands don’t get wet anymore

54FE564D-4C4E-49DF-9755-BBB435CDB590.png
Does water get inside like with all the rest?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody use these?

I really like mine...use them quite often for the bigger stuff. You can grab things as small as an Astrea snail. I let them drain for a few seconds when they break the water surface...and always rinse them in fresh water before drying.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Anybody use these?
This is awesome for my 30" deep tank, except there is always a risk of swiping off a mounted coral when trying to move it around tight corners. It's also less delicate, a bit difficult to feel the pressure.

On the other hand, the maxspect tongs are awesome for those more delicate work, don't rust, and always floats.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Really want the maxspect ones but they are never in stock. Totally rust-proof as they aren't metal and they are neutrally buoyant if you drop them. Silicone tips for delicate handling.
Screenshot-2020-09-24-at-21.42.34.png
my experience with this is that it does not have a good grip despite having rubber tips. it's more so the mechanism where you hold that makes it difficult to secure/hold the frag tightly.

edit: i have since changed to the VCA grips, and even if they're shorter, they definitely are more secure and also float.

Last edited:

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience with this is that it does not have a good grip despite having rubber tips. it's more so the mechanism where you hold that makes it difficult to secure/hold the frag tightly.
I have these and they're great. They don't rust, and they are really gentle to pickup corals.

2 small issues with them though. No big deal.
  • There are some holes in the grip, which water will get in and will drip a bit on the floor once you get them out. Have to shake them a bit and wipe the handle every time to prevent this.
  • As they are not made out of metal, they are less stiff, and you can't really apply a lot of force on them as they'll just bend. Great for corals, not so for heavier stuff.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every type of the plastic grabber tongs I have tried I end up disliking. I have tried many. The main reason is they do not pick up things with any weight, break easily, too clumsy.

Now the metal tongs I have had few of those too. All end up rusting eventually (yes even the surgical steel ones). Saltwater has that effect. Now i have had straight and angled, plastic tip and non. I do like these for what I use them for. Moving frags, grabbing something that fell over or empty shells or such. Even mange to hook bigger rocks to move.

I have a few different sizes, but all work fine. You just have to replace them as they rust out. Any stainless steel or surgical steel is what I would get. Those Maxspect look interesting though.

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these 24" curved hemostat forceps almost every day. I almost never need to put my hands into the tank.
1642696014045.png

If things are close to the top I use straight/curved tweezers from this cheap set I got for my planted tank, also from Amazon (no longer available - though many similar are offered):
1642695977860.png

Both sets of tools will develop rust over time if not wiped dry after use, despite being "stainless", but it's mostly cosmetic and light scrubbing can clean it up when it happens. For the price, it hasn't bothered me.

Would love to get my hands on some titanium equivalents for tweezers/hemostats and coral cutters - but for most tools they either aren't available or are ridiculously expensive.

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edit: i have since changed to the VCA grips, and even if they're shorter, they definitely are more secure and also float.
Same thoughts. I wish the geometry at the tip ends curved "in" more. Once place pressure on the tong stems, the tips flare out and hard to grip at times. Thought it was a defect at 1st. I tried to contact Maxspect but didnt get anywhere. A longer length would be nice too. Just thoughts. Nice that dont rust though.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I have broken like 4 pairs of VCA grips.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back