Your Flippin' Acro Isn't Bleached... It's Receding!!!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I love to try to help people when they are having problems with their corals, but one thing that drives me bat poop crazy is the misuse of the term bleaching when it comes to SPS. It makes it very difficult to try to diagnose problems when the term bleaching is used for just about any malady on a coral. Bleaching is when a coral expels it's zooxanthellae as a reaction to negative environmental influences such as temperature or, more often in our tanks, light. There is still tissue on the coral, however it appears much lighter, and can almost look white. Recovery from bleaching is usually not a problem but can take some time. Necrosis or Recession which is the symptom observed in STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis) and RTN (Rapid Tissue Necrosis), is completely different from bleaching as it is the loss of tissue from the coral skeleton. Causes vary, but often it occurs in our tanks due to water quality issues, and often it occurs immediately, or soon after introduction to the tank. Obviously both conditions aren't good, but Recession requires immediate intervention if there is any hope of saving the coral, while bleaching can usually be remedied by reducing the light intensity over the coral and slowly acclimating it to higher intensities over time. Here are some examples of bleached frags verses frags that have tissue recession:

This frag is slightly bleached. This was the day it was received via overnight.
JF Homewrecker.jpg

This frag is also bleached from shipping stress:

Bleached Confetti.JPG

The frag below is suffering from RTN and has lost tissue where you see the white:
STN AB.JPG

In the case of the first two pictures which were bleached frags due to shipping stress, I simply placed them in a low light area then slowly acclimated them to higher light intensity. They both recovered nicely. The last frag which RTN'd I fragged what I could off of it, but all pieces where gone within 2 days.

The moral of the story - when asking for help with SPS issues, please make sure to use the correct terminology for the symptoms that are present, in particular if you are unable to get a good picture to post. It will greatly help anyone who is trying to assist you with a diagnosis and remedy, and it will also keep me from going bat poop crazy :)

Last edited:

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to be that guy, but this specific frag isn’t bleached at all.
ddf22fffa21bd1005d934972e3230bdb.jpg

That’s how many Corals grow, specifically Corals like pinky the bear and other similar species like CB shortcake or Vivid’s confetti . So technically you misidentified a perfectly healthy coral for a bleached coral . It’s ok though we all make mistakes :)

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s how many Corals grow, specifically Corals like pinky the bear and other similar species like CB shortcake or Vivid’s confetti . So technically you misidentified a perfectly healthy coral for a bleached coral . It’s ok though we all make mistakes :)

I completely disagree. This frag is bleached. This is Vivid's Confetti. I have 2 frags from them and both showed up like this, and have recovered nicely. Take a look at their mother colony, as well as any other pic you can find of it once it is settled, and it does not look like the pic I posted. Here it is after it recovered:

Vivids Confetti.jpg

Whether you agree or disagree that the frag was bleached when it arrived, that's not the point of my post. The point is that bleaching and tissue necrosis are completely different symptoms and need to be identified correctly in order to determine a proper course of action.

Vivids Confetti.jpg

Last edited:

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to semi agree, this one isn't bleached. It's coming from a low nutrient tank and in higher nutrient tanks the colors will get darker/richer. That being said it is annoying that some don't know the difference between dead coral and bleaching.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticky for sure.

I agree it is important for people to properly be able to discribe the issues they are having with sps. Bleaching and TN are 2 totally differe issues with different causes and remedies. Bleaching is an expolsion of zooxanthellae from the coral tissue, the tissue is still intact and the coral is still alive. TN (tissue necrosis) either slow or rapid is the loose of tissue from the coral skeleton. Using incorrect terminology will only cause more problems.

IndianReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I’m doing this post correctly... so is this RTN or bleaching.? .. I think it’s RTN but I didn’t see the sloughing away of tissue. I was able to grab a piece and place it higher in the tank... while that piece seems to be doing fine, the main colony is now totally white and rough to the touch. ( I moved it away from a frogspawn)
Tank specs: 14 g bio cube - diy rimless
Refugium with macro in chamber 2
Biocube skimmer in chamber 3
JBJ ATO nano
Kessil A80 with controller -cycle is 12 hours but I try to replicate the natural day as much as possible
At the time of the event:
Water: nitrates - good 0 (API test)
Kh 11
Calcium 380

dosing goals: 8.4 kh, 420 calcium
Dose ME ( 2 part) 5ml every 2 days ..
Also dose Red Sea elements (1.5ml) every 2 days
Prior to the event I switched RODI and water - was running short on time and went to a different LFS
Since the event I threw out that water and went to my normal place, Blue Earth in Lake Worth, FL.
The video was taken when things were good ... photos show what happened after switching water. 246AA852-1931-44C6-966F-98C0C78C07E9.jpeg 1304DD15-6E4B-4F30-B886-102FCA33B0D3.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3927.MOV
    56.8 MB

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope I’m doing this post correctly... so is this RTN or bleaching.? .. I think it’s RTN but I didn’t see the sloughing away of tissue. I was able to grab a piece and place it higher in the tank... while that piece seems to be doing fine, the main colony is now totally white and rough to the touch. ( I moved it away from a frogspawn)
JBJ ATO nano
Kessil A80 with controller -cycle is 12 hours but I try to replicate the natural day as much as possible
At the time of the event:
Water: nitrates - good 0 (API test)
Kh 11
Calcium 380

Also dose Red Sea elements (1.5ml) every 2 days
Prior to the event I switched RODI and water - was running short on time and went to a different LFS
Since the event I threw out that water and went to my normal place, Blue Earth in Lake Worth, FL.
The video was taken when things were good ... photos show what happened after switching water. 246AA852-1931-44C6-966F-98C0C78C07E9.jpeg 1304DD15-6E4B-4F30-B886-102FCA33B0D3.jpeg
Yes. The coral tissue is gone on that one. RTN appears to be the issue

IndianReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ ATO nano
At the time of the event 12/13/19:
Water: nitrates - good 0ppm (API test)
Phosphates-0ppm (API Test)
Kh 11 (Red Sea Test)....dosed on 12/16, tested again 12/17- 8.4
Calcium 380 ....dosed on 12/16, tested again on 12/17- 420

Also dose Continuum Elements (1.5ml) every 2 days

Thanks in advance!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ ATO nano
At the time of the event 12/13/19:
Water: nitrates - good 0ppm (API test)
Phosphates-0ppm (API Test)
Kh 11 (Red Sea Test)....dosed on 12/16, tested again 12/17- 8.4
Calcium 380 ....dosed on 12/16, tested again on 12/17- 420

Also dose Continuum Elements (1.5ml) every 2 days

Thanks in advance!
Well if those numbers are true with API (Probably not) then zero N and P are never good. I’d get some reliable test kits and test again.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back