Your thoughts on custom tank manufacturers?

Who are your top 3 Custom Tank Manufacturers???

• Total voters

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manufacturer: SCA
Date of Deposit Paid: Aug 2017
Tank Size: 60
"x30"x24"
Silicone: Black
Overflow: Drilled for Reef Synergy
Cost:
~$2465
Date of First Tank Completion: Nov 17
Issues:
Tank was delivered and sat in a crate for about a year. When I finally opened the crate it had a large chip in the corner.
Resolution: A new tank was built and I paid for shipping for the replacement.
Date of Second Tank Completion: March 2019
New Issues: One of the holes for the external overflow is slight lower than the other. Minor issue and doesnt bother me too much
Conclusion: If I were to uprgade/downgrade I would not hesitate to order an SCA again. The tank looks amazing and came in way under the estimates I got from some of the other builders. He could have told me to beat it, since I had the tank so long and didn't uncrate. But he didn't and took care of me. That goes a long way in my book.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manufacturer: SCA
Date of Deposit Paid: Aug 2017
Tank Size: 60
"x30"x24"
Silicone: Black
Overflow: Drilled for Reef Synergy
Cost:
~$2465
Date of First Tank Completion: Nov 17
Issues:
Tank was delivered and sat in a crate for about a year. When I finally opened the crate it had a large chip in the corner.
Resolution: A new tank was built and I paid for shipping for the replacement.
Date of Second Tank Completion: March 2019
New Issues: One of the holes for the external overflow is slight lower than the other. Minor issue and doesnt bother me too much
Conclusion: If I were to uprgade/downgrade I would not hesitate to order an SCA again. The tank looks amazing and came in way under the estimates I got from some of the other builders. He could have told me to beat it, since I had the tank so long and didn't uncrate. But he didn't and took care of me. That goes a long way in my book.

Now that's some pretty good customer service and I feel goes a long way in many people's books, mine included. It's good to see a business understand that word of mouth and customer satisfaction goes a long way. Something I seem to be noticing here is a lot of those that have commented seem to be in the 60"ish range.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a custom tank through Aqueon about a 2 months ago, and it arrived where I'm going to pick it up today!!

It's a standard 180 with the overflow drilled on the short side to set it up as a peninsula.

I went with the internal overflow because I only have 75" of room where the tank is going, therefore couldn't have an external box.

Any lfs that deals with a distributor that carries aqueon can get a custom drilled tanks. They have a couple set locations where their overflow can go, or you can map youout where want holes drilled to use your own overflow, or closed loop. You can specify tempered or not, and choose hole sizes you want.

Process was quick answer easy to order.

I can't comment on price, I work for a distribution company and I'm getting it at my employee cost rate. But from what I'm paying, I'd say it would go for about 1200-1500 depending on mark up at the lfs.

Interesting I didn't even know Aqueon did custom tanks, that's good to know!!! That's pretty exciting, congrats on the new tank, but I'm going to need some pictures of that bad boy when you get it;Snaphappy

Are they internal plastic overflows like standard Aqueons that you have just modified the location of? Or are they a different beast entirely?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I didn't even know Aqueon did custom tanks, that's good to know!!! That's pretty exciting, congrats on the new tank, but I'm going to need some pictures of that bad boy when you get it;Snaphappy

Are they internal plastic overflows like standard Aqueons that you have just modified the location of? Or are they a different beast entirely?

I chose the same overflow they use, just modified the location. But they will drill any hole you want in specified locations.

And I'll clarify a little more, when they say "custom" they mean custom drilled. You have all the standard sizes too choose from.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose the same overflow they use, just modified the location. But they will drill any hole you want in specified locations.

And I'll clarify a little more, when they say "custom" they mean custom drilled. You have all the standard sizes too choose from.

Thanks for the clarification on that information, I wasn't sure if they did totally custom tanks or just the holes themselves. I mean they have enough different sizes they don't really need to be going to the totally custom route. Custom placed holes is a really nice option to have. Standard tanks are great on the wallet but I really don't like the interior overflows they all come with. Having the option to put a MM or synergy overflow on it instead is a great thing!

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification on that information, I wasn't sure if they did totally custom tanks or just the holes themselves. I mean they have enough different sizes they don't really need to be going to the totally custom route. Custom placed holes is a really nice option to have. Standard tanks are great on the wallet but I really don't like the interior overflows they all come with. Having the option to put a MM or synergy overflow on it instead is a great thing!

I wish I could have done a synergy overflow! But the space I'm working with wouldn't allow it.
My plan is to either get some frag racks that look like rock and magnet them to the overflow or just epoxy rock right on there

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's some pretty good customer service and I feel goes a long way in many people's books, mine included. It's good to see a business understand that word of mouth and customer satisfaction goes a long way. Something I seem to be noticing here is a lot of those that have commented seem to be in the 60"ish range.
That 60" just seems good enough to get some aquascaping and have some tangs. I wanted to stay under 200g for this build and still have the depth to open the ideas for placement. I have no desire to do more height because I cant keep my hands out of the tank. This tanks dimensions just seemed to be perfect for what I wanted. I wouldnt change a thing......yet

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a 60” length was ideal. Under six feet left plenty of walls to put it on and not cause to many issue with other furniture locations. I opted for a slightly wider tank at 36” than the overall length for wider aquascaping.

60” x 36” x 24” with my 36” MM overflow left me 12” on each side. Then I had my returns drilled on the back panel also in the center of that 12” on each side.

Side panel - 6” - Left Return - 6” - 36” overflow - 6” - Right Return - 6” - Side panel

I like symmetry haha

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely seems to be a little bit of a trend going on. And you know I've been tagging along on your thread as well :p I do love that you still have an option of the Reef Savvy Ghost overflow with Miracles as the only other way to get them is ordering a custom tank from Reef Savvy themselves because they don't sell them on there own anymore. I'm not entirely sure on the relationship between the two Manufacturers but it's fantastic they can offer the Reef Savvy overflow which is something no one else can. On that note, how are you liking the Ghost overflow??

I love that Reef Savvy overflow box ,, I would never order another tank without it ,, no matter the tank size ,,, its my understanding that the two companies ,, Mircales & Reef Savvy ,, have a very good working relationship ,, that's why you can get a Reef Savvy overflow on a Mircales Aquarium ,, it is also my understanding that Reef Savvy & the makers of the Shadow overflow box ,, used to be partners on the Shadow overflow box ,, whatever happened , I have no clue ,, they went their separate ways and that is when Reef Savvy came up with their own design ,, whatever the story ,, the bottom line is ,,, these two boxes,, the Reef Savvy & the Shadow overflow boxes are not the same ,,

There is a post on R2R about some design flaws in the Shadow overflow box ,, that post is the reason I made sure I was getting the Reef Savvy overflow box on my tank ,,,

I didn't know you can't just order a Reef Savvey overflow box :) I guess any tanks I order in the future ,, and there could be one :) will have to come from Mircales Aquariums :) I have no problem ordering a Reef Savvy Aquarium ,, but at my age ,, I can't wait a year for it ,, nothing wrong with waiting a year for a tank from maybe the best tank maker in the country ,, I just might not be around to get it lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 60" just seems good enough to get some aquascaping and have some tangs. I wanted to stay under 200g for this build and still have the depth to open the ideas for placement. I have no desire to do more height because I cant keep my hands out of the tank. This tanks dimensions just seemed to be perfect for what I wanted. I wouldnt change a thing......yet

For me it seems the 5' is borderline for most tangs, at least that's what everyone says anyway, not going to dig any further into it cause this thread will probably go down in flames lol I went with a shallower setup, my Red Sea C130 had a tank depth of 22 inches and reaching the bottom at the back meant wet armpits and I HATED it. this time around I'll barely get my elbow wet. I guess the Peninsula style really helps with that as well.

For me a 60” length was ideal. Under six feet left plenty of walls to put it on and not cause to many issue with other furniture locations. I opted for a slightly wider tank at 36” than the overall length for wider aquascaping.

60” x 36” x 24” with my 36” MM overflow left me 12” on each side. Then I had my returns drilled on the back panel also in the center of that 12” on each side.

Side panel - 6” - Left Return - 6” - 36” overflow - 6” - Right Return - 6” - Side panel

I like symmetry haha

5 foot was the max I could get in the space I was allowed to put it so that's what I went with. I look back now and sorta wished I went with the 36" width as well, although don't tell the fiancé that or she'll be mad ;Punch;Punch;Punch :p:p In hindsight it would have been a HUGE pain in the neck to get it through the front door so its good I stuck with the 30". Symmetry is nice and I like it just as much as you. On my Peninsula I went with one return so I could place a Vortech on the opposite side with a battery back up incase the power goes out I have something for circulation because the closed loop pump wouldn't get very far on a battery lol

I love that Reef Savvy overflow box ,, I would never order another tank without it ,, no matter the tank size ,,, its my understanding that the two companies ,, Mircales & Reef Savvy ,, have a very good working relationship ,, that's why you can get a Reef Savvy overflow on a Mircales Aquarium ,, it is also my understanding that Reef Savvy & the makers of the Shadow overflow box ,, used to be partners on the Shadow overflow box ,, whatever happened , I have no clue ,, they went their separate ways and that is when Reef Savvy came up with their own design ,, whatever the story ,, the bottom line is ,,, these two boxes,, the Reef Savvy & the Shadow overflow boxes are not the same ,,

There is a post on R2R about some design flaws in the Shadow overflow box ,, that post is the reason I made sure I was getting the Reef Savvy overflow box on my tank ,,,

I didn't know you can't just order a Reef Savvey overflow box :) I guess any tanks I order in the future ,, and there could be one :) will have to come from Mircales Aquariums :) I have no problem ordering a Reef Savvy Aquarium ,, but at my age ,, I can't wait a year for it ,, nothing wrong with waiting a year for a tank from maybe the best tank maker in the country ,, I just might not be around to get it lol

You are correct on the relationship between Reef Savvy and Synergy, they used to be partners on the Ghost overflow provided by Reef Savvy, something happened and I too am not sure what it was where they decided to part ways. This is when Reef Savvy modified there Ghost overflow slightly and moved on. You are also correct the Shadow and Ghost overflows are nothing alike (I'm well versed in the issues some have with the Shadow) and why it always drives me up the wall when people call the Shadow a Ghost overflow, it's almost as bad as when people say clowns host things :mad::mad:;).

Previously you used to be able to order a Ghost overflow from Reef Savvy but something happened over the last couple years where they decided to stop selling them on there own and only offer them if you had a tank built by them. Also not sure what the story is behind that but that's where we are now. At least there is one other manufacturer that still offers it which a much shorter lead time on builds. :)

Also would like to add, these reviews so far have been fantastic!! Lets see if we can keep it up today:)

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a 36” wide tank was tricky through the door haha. We had to roll it on it’s side to come through! We kept it in the shipping container until it was in the living room.

46EE8E58-C7CA-48B4-975B-002C2B7DEFE0.jpeg

3502336C-2234-4594-BB73-530093017E7E.jpeg

EADEE3BE-1D00-4D10-9584-A1AEFEBD9FF7.jpeg

8C0C8A15-E8E1-4062-B369-D315600AC0F0.jpeg

C894F6FE-4164-4055-A827-16BFFADA7B89.jpeg

541B0047-EDFA-4C22-BEC5-2925B9016DEE.jpeg

6AC18FE7-9F4A-4DF8-9BEC-C9C36E060A18.jpeg

DF77BE96-3194-4E24-8DA8-99E8E925D9CE.jpeg

865C11FA-159D-4FE8-A14F-7D32CB9988A4.jpeg

1252BF5A-227A-4191-AB8B-D8A83996D77F.jpeg

ACBCB878-0E8F-4A95-87F4-9F7E9C2B5F7F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted an AGE tank when I was looking into my cube being built. I ended up going with a custom GEO 48/48/24. Workmanship is like his reactors and other stuff....top notch. Only experience I have.

Sorry

Corey

I'll throw both of those in there as well! And no apologies needed, I wasn't even aware GEO made tanks! Thanks for your input :)

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an absolutely horrible experience with Coast 2 Coast and would never, ever, EVER buy from them again or recommend them to anyone else. Tank was about $6K, 7' x 28" by 25". Tank was delivered to freight depot, not to my home. I went there, opened crate, and climbed in looking for the sort of damage you would expect: did the tank get cracked? Seeing no cracks, I climbed out and signed off to take possession. Unfortunately, only after getting the tank home and fully disassembling the crate -- something not reasonably possible at a commercial freight depot -- was I able to see what a bad job C2C did.

Bracing had numerous chips, and there was grotesque fissuring of the silicone between the bracing panels all the way around the tank. (See pictures below; just one panel shown.) I had been talked out of starphire for the bracing -- was told it was so narrow you wouldn't notice the difference -- but the regular old float glass stood out like a sore thumb with its greenish edges. Plus, it wasn't even polished smooth, giving it a wavy/distorted appearance when viewed edge on.

I called C2C to complain about the workmanship, and was told too bad, so sad, you signed off on it. I was also told, well, you don't focus on the tank, you focus on the life in the tank. (For 6K, I'm looking for a tank that is as beautiful as the life in it.) They also told me that the fissures in the silicone are as per what they told me could happen. What they TOLD me was that "the anomalies in the seams are not covered in the warranty...they just happen. Although they are not usually a "bubble" as much as a sort of ripple, they are just an unfortunate aesthetic result of the silicone doing what it does, shrinking and grabbing the glass from both sides." That was a gross misrepresentation; those are hardly "ripples."

When I showed them pictures of the chips in the glass, they told me that UPS must have damaged the tank by dropping it. For a while, I believed them, given how I saw forklift operator manhandle the tank in the warehouse. When putting together a quote to have the tank replaced at UPS' expense, C2C asked if I wanted them to include the cost to rebuild with starphire bracing as I had originally requested. In other words, stick UPS with the higher cost of a rebuild to do things right, as I had originally requested. (I declined; that's just plain dishonest.) Subsequently, I saw other people posting online with similarly bad workmanship, and I realized it was C2C's fault, not UPS'. Even though UPS had offered me about $2300 to resolve the matter, I dropped the claim against them and declined to take the money. It just wouldn't have been right to do so.

Thoroughly disgusted with the tank, I cut off the bracing (no easy task THAT was) with plans to re-do it myself. C2C tells me that I voided the warranty doing so, since I "released pressure" and now the structural integrity was compromised. After some discussion, they told me that if I brought the tank up to them in NJ, they would re-brace it and the warranty would be restored. So if cutting off the bracing "released pressure" and ruined the structure and hence the tank, how is it that they could re-warrant after THEY re-braced the tank??? If you ask me, they were talking out of their rear. Also, they would only re-brace as per their original configuration, not a different configuration per my request that would eliminate the inter-panel fissuring, so I told them I would do it myself. When I asked if I could buy some of the "special-formula" silicone that is allegedly only made for them, they refused. They claimed they had spent too much money developing the formula, and it's patented and the trade secrets........ (Note: I'm a patent attorney; I found NO patents to C2C or the owner or salesman pertaining to silicone (or any other product.....)

During phone call at same time period, owner asks whether I had bad-mouthed the company on line. At that time, I had not posted about them, so I said, "No." His response: "Good. Because I will make it my life's mission to go after anyone who badmouths the company." Is THIS the sort of company you want to do business with?

Ultimately, I re-braced the tank myself. It took me two years to get clean lines with silicone and a final product that makes me happy, with the tank sitting in the garage and preventing me from getting my car in the whole time. Given glass for two attempts to re-create original configuration that went south (once due to panels getting bonded together in wrong orientation prematurely, necessitating a whole new set of glass panels), followed by other configuration I went with; at least two dozen tubes of silicone; razor blades; cleaning supplies; etc. etc. etc., I probably put another $2k into the tank before it was ready to go forward with the build.

What kills me is that originally I had ordered from Reef Savvy, but the six-month deliver-by date came and went. Felix was apologetic and offered to make things right, but I was impatient and cancelled the order and went with C2C. How I wish I had stayed the course with Reef Savvy....... my experience with C2C was bad news all the way around.

IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2284.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back