Your Thoughts On "Self Leveling Protein Skimmers"

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that video when it was first released. I am not too keen on the design. I would not want a skimmer that recirculates air. I want fresh air.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% of the time that design is used as an overflow stop. Water will rise in the cup to a certain point and then the Venturi will start sucking in water which will shut the Skimmer down and stop it from overflowing. The reason it is done sometimes, is it can function as a silencer, so really two birds one stone. How and if it affects the skimmer I am not sure, I know LifeReef uses that design. The design of self leveling has even a great importance on pump size as too large and it will overflow and too small and skimmer will not work properly. If you are asking if it works I sure it does. Remember a skimmer as a bare fact is nothing more than a container where water and air mix.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef uses the recirculating air design to help prevent the venturi from cloging with salt creep. It seems to work ok but some have still needed to clean the venturi out.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check out Lifereef's site any see if any are on YouTube.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that video when it was first released. I am not too keen on the design. I would not want a skimmer that recirculates air. I want fresh air.

Wouldn't it also draw fresh air from the holes in the lid, unless it doesn't have holes? Not saying I'd buy it because it looks like a dime store skimmer to me. I also saw that vid about a year ago. I wonder if there's anybody whose used it.

The collection cup has virtually nothing holding it down. It looks to just rest on top, which may or may not leak.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back