• Eshopps 1000 1” drains

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people pointed out overflows aren’t getting their suggested GPH when you consider plumbing setup. Since you can’t undrill a tank, I’m a little frazzled trying to get it right.

Modular Marine 1200 overflow 12” box
— 3/4” drain bulk heads restricts some flow
— equal internal/external box height
— low profile
—— Maybe add 3/4” to 1” connector to plumb 1” pipes?

Eshopps L Eclipse 1000 12” box
— 1” drain bulk heads
— drop down external box height
— bulkier looking but cheaper

I have a 65g draining into a 250 reefmat (900gph max) in a 25g sump.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak on MM overflows quality of build as mine are 3000gph with 1.5" drains. They had to custom make mine to fit existing holes and they did a great job. Quality of build was excellent.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak on MM overflows quality of build as mine are 3000gph with 1.5" drains. They had to custom make mine to fit existing holes and they did a great job. Quality of build was excellent.
They offered to make me the 1” drains on the 1600 model but in a 12” length (so bulkier non low profile box) but said I would be limited trying to do any u pipes. Which I’m unsure I even need one let alone two. I felt pretty confident with them until learning about the pipe sizes — you definitely have no problem with your custom build!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with eshopps because for the life of me I can't understand why you'd build an overflow box that isn't clear so you can easily look at the water level. Modular marine... You lose :)

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with eshopps because for the life of me I can't understand why you'd build an overflow box that isn't clear so you can easily look at the water level. Modular marine... You lose :)
I didn’t take that into account, figured it’s behind the tank and should be running right once set up lol. So many variables!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to be able to see the water level easily while I adjust the gate valve. I pictured myself up and down a stool or something with a blacked out box..

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NancyFish the standard 1200pgh MM box will fit a 3/4" straight emergency plus a 3/4" primary and secondary with a "U", you just need to use street elbows (two each).
No they mentioned if I did the 1” drains on a 12” model, I wouldn’t be able to (supposedly). You’re helping me in the other thread too, I appreciate it.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted to the standard 1200. The drains are plenty big for the flow you would need on a 65 gallon tank.

The dark overflow would be a plus to me. Mine is class and there is enough light getting in that stuff grows in it that has to be cleaned.

My full siphon drain was designed to flow 450 gallons and has no adjustment so seeing in the box is not important to me.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3/4” at full siphon can handle a lot of flow, then you have the partial drain as well. I trust MM design specs. I really doubt you’ll ever go over 500gph throughput. If you do you’ll probably carry micro bubbles from your skimmer into the display.

On my 1600 I have just a bulkhead screen on the full siphon and a 45 on the partial drain. Did that per other suggestions and it’s been bulletproof.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ypu can use strain pipe inside with strainers if you want. I used a pvc u drain fitting for mine and it was tight. Straight pipe would work though
Screenshot_20240523_094222_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240523_094227_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240523_094231_Gallery.jpg

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust with a gate valve... Nothing has to be ots perfect. It's odd to me to try to match these numbers (for small tanks at least. Large systems require more planning). How would you even? Flow meter/monitor? I also have a 65 fwiw. 1 inch down. 3/4 up. Dead silent. Nothing grows in my overflow as it gets very little direct light but I get that may be a consideration for some. I will say this, you MUST use a valve on the eshoppes. Otherwise it's loud and the slim design makes it near impossible to try different solutions. It was loud until I installed that and now silent and no fizz/bubbles/spray

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4” at full siphon can handle a lot of flow, then you have the partial drain as well. I trust MM design specs. I really doubt you’ll ever go over 500gph throughput. If you do you’ll probably carry micro bubbles from your skimmer into the display.

On my 1600 I have just a bulkhead screen on the full siphon and a 45 on the partial drain. Did that per other suggestions and it’s been bulletproof.
This makes sense, I’m thinking I’m definitely over thinking it and just want to do it right to avoid regretting it later. Do you think there’s any benefit to the 3/4” vs 1” plumbing?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust with a gate valve... Nothing has to be ots perfect. It's odd to me to try to match these numbers (for small tanks at least. Large systems require more planning). How would you even? Flow meter/monitor? I also have a 65 fwiw. 1 inch down. 3/4 up. Dead silent. Nothing grows in my overflow as it gets very little direct light but I get that may be a consideration for some. I will say this, you MUST use a valve on the eshoppes. Otherwise it's loud and the slim design makes it near impossible to try different solutions. It was loud until I installed that and now silent and no fizz/bubbles/spray
Honestly I probly wouldn’t know or be having this convo if I wasn’t trying to make sense and match the return pump. Big part now is I bought the return on sale and now I’m thinking I need to size it down regardless of the 1” vs 3/4”. The 1” would likely work with it on the upper end but if I’m not running full capacity I could have gotten a smaller pump by a size or two.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I probly wouldn’t know or be having this convo if I wasn’t trying to make sense and match the return pump. Big part now is I bought the return on sale and now I’m thinking I need to size it down regardless of the 1” vs 3/4”. The 1” would likely work with it on the upper end but if I’m not running full capacity I could have gotten a smaller pump by a size or two.

How much flow are you targeting?

I have two SDC 7 pumps both running at 19% right now one is producing 214 gph and the other 316 gph

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow are you targeting?

I have two SDC 7 pumps both running at 19% right now one is producing 214 gph and the other 316 gph
I’m not even sure my roller fleece can only take 900. I got a sicce sdc 7 that’s 800-1900gph, a little lower since it has to go up 4-5 ft and will have a bit of a silicone to start the plumbing. — is your pump the same one, running that low? I wasn’t sure they could unless you have major overhead.

I would have sized that down a little but that’s before I realized the overflow gph isn’t exact. So now I’m questioning the over flow size. Or maybe just get the 3/4 and exchange the pump ( it comes in today). The overflow is literally last on my list since I thought it was most important

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back