You've Heard About the "Planning Phase" What About the "Planning for the Planning Phase"?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, as the title suggests, this upgrade is still firmly in the realm of the theoretical. Currently, I have a Red Sea Max Nano, and although it is a very nice tank, nanos do not allow for most fish and coral. As a result, I have been looking into upgrading to a tank in the size range of 120-200 gallons. The idea would be to have sufficient space to allow a group of 3-5 tangs and a ritteri anemone to live in the tank, as well as other fish and invertebrates that need a large tank. Although many things are up in the air, (including the entire upgrade itself) something that I have been wondering about is which tank to go with. The brands that I have been considering are ELOS, Waterbox, Marineland, CADE, and Red Sea tanks. Of these, which would you choose? Also, what size or model would you recommend? I am leaning towards the CADE because of the steel stand and AlgaeBarn's tank package. Thank you for your insight!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I've eliminated Waterbox and ELOS from the running on the basis of pricing. I know that they make good tanks, but the price without lights, plumbing, and the pumps is a bit too high for me. I am already going to be eating toast for a year just so I can have corals. Also on the basis of pricing, I am now considering a SCA PNP System. They seem cheapish enough, and are pretty good quality. Anyone with an SCA tank, please tell me what you think of them. Thank you!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it's between the SCA 150 PNP, the Reefer-S 850 G2, and a CADE 1800 S2. Which one should I go with? Also, the tank is going to be in a basement. Does anyone have any tips for getting a big tank downstairs? Thank you!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it's between the SCA 150 PNP, the Reefer-S 850 G2, and a CADE 1800 S2. Which one should I go with? Also, the tank is going to be in a basement. Does anyone have any tips for getting a big tank downstairs? Thank you!
There are suction cups meant to help carry large glass objects that could be useful

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biased , Red Sea fan here. That new G2 is the bomb. Plenty long enough for tangs. Tangs need length.

I have 2 RS tanks and use all of the equipment they offer except for the RollerMat but hopefully soon.

Cade seems to be very high quality as well but I prefer Red Sea.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biased , Red Sea fan here. That new G2 is the bomb. Plenty long enough for tangs. Tangs need length.

I have 2 RS tanks and use all of the equipment they offer except for the RollerMat but hopefully soon.

Cade seems to be very high quality as well but I prefer Red Sea.
^^^^^ have nothing else to add.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little concerned that the Red Sea tank might leak. I currently have a RSMN, and it's been fine, but I've heard horror stories of the front panel leaking in larger models. Also, would it be possible to keep a gem tang with a yellow tang? Those two are some of my favorite tangs, and if they would get along, I'd love to have both.

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little concerned that the Red Sea tank might leak. I currently have a RSMN, and it's been fine, but I've heard horror stories of the front panel leaking in larger models. Also, would it be possible to keep a gem tang with a yellow tang?Those two are some of my favorite tangs, and if they would get along, I'd love to have both.
I think that the new models should’ve eliminated the leaking seams issue. I have a Red Sea reefer 250 v3 with no issues so far.
Mixing tangs is a hit or miss but if you introduce them both at the same time with not much of a size difference it should work.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the pricing for the CADE Elite Packages includes the tank and stand as well as the other stuff? I've found conflicting information on this. I want to keep the budget as low as possible, and if that price does not include the tank, I will probably avoid the CADE.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the pricing for the CADE Elite Packages includes the tank and stand as well as the other stuff? I've found conflicting information on this. I want to keep the budget as low as possible, and if that price does not include the tank, I will probably avoid the CADE.
Contact Algae Barn for info.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back