Yuma Ricordea Expert needed !!!!!

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ben buying and selling these beauties for a while now, but it seems like I have horrible luck getting the nicer/pink ones to do well. Most of the yumas do very well in my frag tanks, but seems like I get some that just after a few days literally begin to just melt and nothing seems to help. Is there a trick im missing? More flow, less flow, light etc.....

I just bought a few like these and sure dont want them to melt away. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

yuma4.jpg

yuma2.JPG

yuma1.JPG

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try less light, though I'm not sure what you're lighting is. I have kept red Ricordea yuma under 150W 20K MH + 96W dual band actinics before without problem. Also, if this is a frag tank there is likely a high stock load in the tank. If many of these are soft corals you could be facing a lot of chemical warfare (allelopathy) that I find mushroom-type corals tend to be on the losing side of. Colts, Capnella, toadstools, devil's hands, and other leathers and zoos can be pretty nasty to them. I've lost some green Ricordea yuma to it.

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my frag tank but mostly acans, montis, duncans, and micros in this one.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it might be a lighting issue also. We outline our tanks with them and in shaddy areas. We have had great luck with this. I have lost tons in the past due to the strong lighting. Good luck. And you have some beauties there.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of the first ones and they do great in subdued lighting......Although most collectors from what I have been told collect the hot pinks and outrageous colors from shallow waters they seem to not do good under high light conditions in Reef aquaria. Any wild yumas I get I start them out in almost complete shade and once they start reaching for light I will move them a little more into the light. I keep this process going till either I find a spot that they are fully open in in-direct light or slowly move them till they fully open in direct lighting. I will say though that this is a long process for me anyway. So whit you having a business I would start out with in-direct light or subdued lighting and keep them there. One of the biggest issues I think with yumas is that they are sensitive to shipping and photo acclimation can put them over the edge and start the bacterial infection of which I have found no cure for after many many attempts I still have found no dip or meds that have worked....

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all above. I have many Yumas of dif clors and always shade them for quite some time before they get direct light.

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a couple reds and a pink, so I'm no expert. IME, both of my reds love it low, next to the sand, and no flow hitting them at all, while my pink loves it a little higher with at least a medium flow.

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my yumas are in the low light area of my tank, but the Pink yuma I have is loving the high light, I keep moving it more and more into the light. The Pink one is the only one that can handle my HM directly so far

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back