YWG and Tiger Pistol Shrimp

jaevans96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i introduced 2 YWG about 3 weeks ago (one sadly died because it got stuck in between my overflow on first night). Then 2 weeks ago i added my tiger pistol, my YWG and tiger paired right away. For 2 days they were right next to each other at varies parts of the tank. For about 3-4 days now there is no sign of the pistol but my YWG has been back at the same spot right on top of my Magfloat from before i added the pistol. Should i assume the goby didnt take on to the shrimp too much or could the shrimp have passed away? I know pistols can disappear for months but i just thought it’s curious that they paired and now i have no clue where the pistol went. Edit: Tank is 60 gallons with 20 gallon sump.

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had the pistol dug a burrow yet? He may have found a spot that YWG didn't like and they split or the Pistol could be molting? There is a possibility the shrimp died but if you have a good CUC you might never know until he shows back up.

OP
OP
jaevans96

jaevans96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the pistol dug a burrow yet? He may have found a spot that YWG didn't like and they split or the Pistol could be molting? There is a possibility the shrimp died but if you have a good CUC you might never know until he shows back up.
The pistol was digging in the corner of the tank and the Goby was next to him. But now i havent seen the pistol and i havent noticed anything that i’d recognize as a burrow, for example when i had a diamond watchman i knew where all his entrances were. The pistol is smaller obviously so he could have made a burrow that i cant tell.

OP
OP
jaevans96

jaevans96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully he turns up. It's never fun losing critters.
Yeah he’s pretty tiny so I wasn’t planning on seeing a lot of him I just got him for the goby, thats why it feels redundant now. The goby is out in the open the entire day so it might actually be better then him hiding halfway in a burrow.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are survivors man. Prob moltin. I put a pistol shrimp and ywg the day i started tank and ywg died in powerhead. That pistol shrimp has survived the whole time with no direct feedings of any kind. Hear him constantly snappin and see burrows but hardly ever see him. He is huge now tho and he pretty much kills any sand dwellers and think some of my smaller fish have fallin prey to him. Forget nassarius snails. Just snacks for him

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll hear them snapping. If you go a few days without, didn't make it.

OP
OP
jaevans96

jaevans96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thanks for your help. I just discovered my YWG on the floor this morning. Nightmare on top of nightmare. Thought my lid was good enough, the plastic top has quarter inch squares throughout. Thought he was big enough but he must have literally threaded the needle. As far as the pistol still no sign but im assuming he’s making his burrows. Might try a pink spot at some point instead of another YWG so i know the size is okay. Other YWG before got stuck between my overflow. I think i’ll take a break from new fish for awhile lol.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a tiger pistol that lived 6 years. I've never had a watchman goby more than a few months, no clue why.

Pistol was always actively digging in the front when there was a goby, when there wasn't I'd maybe be reminded it exist every few months, and in-between that time hear clicks without ever actually seeing it.

Eventually the clicking stopped, the sand wasn't moving.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back