YWG Left Cave

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a YWG + pistol shrimp pair for around a year now. Today the goby randomly decided to leave the cave and is now frantically swimming around my tank. Is this a sign that the pistol shrimp has died? I haven't seen it in a few months, but I try to feed them when I can.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a YWG + pistol shrimp pair for around a year now. Today the goby randomly decided to leave the cave and is now frantically swimming around my tank. Is this a sign that the pistol shrimp has died? I haven't seen it in a few months, but I try to feed them when I can.
Maybe, is the water okay?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say once a year/every other year my ywg goes cruising. Always finds their way home, and it was never because the shrimp had died. If you have a lid you may want to put it on now though as this is when they can jump

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer but once I had a YWG that was suicidal. It did exactly what you describe, would barely eat and was very thin.

As soon as I got a shrimp for it, it went into the a cave with the shrimp and started behaving normally.

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer but once I had a YWG that was suicidal. It did exactly what you describe, would barely eat and was very thin.

As soon as I got a shrimp for it, it went into the a cave with the shrimp and started behaving normally.
That's how mine was before I got the shrimp, but since he has been with the shrimp he has always refused to leave the cave. That's why it started to concern me.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it is not completely unusual. Just seemed a bit weird and out of the blue.
My personal opinion is if they can't immediately reenter their cave due to cave in strong current pull away or something else they freak out and swim at the top corner of the tank for a day or 2 and check again

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is fine, 1.025 gravity, 7.6 ppm nitrate, and .19 ppm phosphate. Has always been around that level. All the other fish are acting normal.
Huh well then its probably fine. Do you hear your shrimp snapping? Thats the only way I know if mine is alive, both he and my goby are so terrified of everything that they hide all day

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh well then its probably fine. Do you hear your shrimp snapping? Thats the only way I know if mine is alive, both he and my goby are so terrified of everything that they hide all day
Haven't paid much attention recently, but I will pay closer attention and see if I hear anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back