YWG osmotic shock?

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a yellow watchman goby from my lfs yesterday. When I brought him home he seemed perfectly healthy. I tested the salinity of the water from the fish store and it was at 1.020, I keep my tank at 1.025.

I did not know I needed to acclimate for hours, if not days when the salinity was that off. Instead I proceeded with my typical 30/40 minute acclimation where I turn off the lights, float the bag and slowly add tank water until the water volume doubles, then I scooped up the fish and added him to the tank.

After I added him to the tank, his skin started to discolour into white patches. I knew something was wrong and now I suspect it’s because I didn’t acclimate him to my tank slowly enough. In the past when I’ve bought fish from that shop, their salinity was always kept at a natural seawater level. So I’m not happy with them for not letting me know ahead of time.

Is there anything I can do to help this fish survive? He’s been in my tank for 24 hours now, he ate some mysis shrimp this morning and actually seems fine other than the white patches.
IMG_3036.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a yellow watchman goby from my lfs yesterday. When I brought him home he seemed perfectly healthy. I tested the salinity of the water from the fish store and it was at 1.020, I keep my tank at 1.025.

I did not know I needed to acclimate for hours, if not days when the salinity was that off. Instead I proceeded with my typical 30/40 minute acclimation where I turn off the lights, float the bag and slowly add tank water until the water volume doubles, then I scooped up the fish and added him to the tank.

After I added him to the tank, his skin started to discolour into white patches. I knew something was wrong and now I suspect it’s because I didn’t acclimate him to my tank slowly enough. In the past when I’ve bought fish from that shop, their salinity was always kept at a natural seawater level. So I’m not happy with them for not letting me know ahead of time.

Is there anything I can do to help this fish survive? He’s been in my tank for 24 hours now, he ate some mysis shrimp this morning and actually seems fine other than the white patches.
IMG_3036.jpeg
That much of a rise is right at the fatal level for some fish. As said though, there is no treatment, the fish needs to recover on its own.
I wish LFS wouldn’t keep their fish so low. Back in the 1970’s we all kept our salinity low, so it wasn’t an issue. Now, most people have full salinity tanks, but a lot of LFS haven’t kept up.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in, I do nothing which adds any further stress.
Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks, hopefully he recovers
That much of a rise is right at the fatal level for some fish. As said though, there is no treatment, the fish needs to recover on its own.
I wish LFS wouldn’t keep their fish so low. Back in the 1970’s we all kept our salinity low, so it wasn’t an issue. Now, most people have full salinity tanks, but a lot of LFS haven’t kept up.

Jay
I know YWG’s are pretty hardy fish, so hopefully he pulls through. Too bad there’s nothing I can do to help the guy out though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back