YWG & Pistol Shrimp --What would kill the Pistol?

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI have this YWG & Pistol Shrimp for 1 year or more. The shrimp is always very very busy & I have to go back in & fix things everyday. Yesterday I noticed the YWG acting weird-swimming to the top going into the scissortail gobies den--He always stays by his shrimp.
Yesterday Evening I saw the shrimp partially in his burrow but have not seen any sand moving or sight of him since. He is very very active & always in front of the tank (30gL). He was moving stuff yesterday morning/afternoon.
If he died what would kill him? Everything else fish, corals etc are okay. Temp same as always.

I did see a big bristle worm on the other side of the tank this morning.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible he's just retreated in the burrow to molt? I haven't had a pistol shrimp before but between the other inverts I've kept I always assume its a molt until I have hard evidence that the have perished (now anyway- the first few times they all got me pretty good ;Hilarious)

OP
OP
jazzfisher

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! he did molt a couple of weeks ago but didn't seem to slow him down. And the Watchman didn't act weird then.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case hopefully another member with some pistol shrimp experience will be able to assist your further, for best result however I'd include a full tank stock list and the usual water parameters so others can help narrow it down and rule things out for you.

I will say it sounds strange for an invertebrate to not cower for a little after molting- most of them appreciate how their squishiness and avoid unnecessary movements so to not deform their brand new exoskeleton but I suppose its possible they could just work through it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back