Zero Edge Revival

Hooked

LPS Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tank that I had set up for a couple of years, then sold, then bought back again and have just recently set back up. Here's the equipment list:

20ish gallon hex zero edge
Eheim1262 return pump
AI Vega Color LED
Reef keeper Lite
JNS VS-1 skimmer
Bubble Magus doser
100w Cobalt Neo-therm
16 gal top off reservoir
Premium DIY ATO

This tank was previously set up as a clownfish/anemone habitat that housed a pair of black ocellaris clowns that laid eggs like clockwork. I sold the pair to a local breeder and should be getting some of their offspring back soon.

This time around the tank will be more mixed reef with chalices and zoos on the bottom and sps in the rocks. It's difficult to do much aquascaping in this tank so the rocks really are just there for filtration and to mount the corals. Once things grow in, you probably won't notice the rock. I'm planning a trip to The Cincy Frag Swap Saturday to pick up some frags.

Currently I have a few zoos, a Tyree watermelon chalice, and a Tyree LE Wild Orchid monti on the bottom of the tank. I have the following frags:

Ponape Birds Nest
Sunset monti
blue tort
Tyree pink lemonade
violet tip granulosa
hot pink stylophora
two 1 1/2" maxima clams

I also have a sixline wrasse, a couple of green clown gobies, and a red headed goby.

I only have iPhone pics available at this time, so I apologize for the quality.

overall Oct 2012.jpg
fts Oct 2012.jpg
cabinet Oct 2012.jpg
sump Oct 2012.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tank!

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! IMO, this is the only acceptable hexagon tank LOL. (no offense to hexagon owners ;))

Where do you find one of these zero edges?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh cool very nice tank!

OP
OP
Hooked

Hooked

LPS Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! IMO, this is the only acceptable hexagon tank LOL. (no offense to hexagon owners ;))

Where do you find one of these zero edges?

Thanks! I've had this one for quite awhile, but it was made by Zero Edge Aquariums.

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool... i talked to one of the guys from ORA about their round zero edge display tank at MACNA, and he implied that the ultra-high evaporation and difficulty cleaning would make it impractical to have set up full time. I take it your experience has been different?

OP
OP
Hooked

Hooked

LPS Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool... i talked to one of the guys from ORA about their round zero edge display tank at MACNA, and he implied that the ultra-high evaporation and difficulty cleaning would make it impractical to have set up full time. I take it your experience has been different?

It does evaporate a lot - about 1.5 gallons per day, which is why I have a 16 gal top off reservoir. The float switch and aqualifter top off system I have activates frequently and keeps the water level very stable. I have never had a problem with cleaning - I wipe down both the inside and outside with an acrylic cleaning pad weekly. It would definitely be a pain if you let stuff build up on it.

My weekly maintenance is 5 gal water change, change filter pad, add to top off reservoir, wipe down sides - 20 minutes tops.

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does evaporate a lot - about 1.5 gallons per day, which is why I have a 16 gal top off reservoir. The float switch and aqualifter top off system I have activates frequently and keeps the water level very stable. I have never had a problem with cleaning - I wipe down both the inside and outside with an acrylic cleaning pad weekly. It would definitely be a pain if you let stuff build up on it.

My weekly maintenance is 5 gal water change, change filter pad, add to top off reservoir, wipe down sides - 20 minutes tops.

Cool... so sounds like evaporation is very manageable in a smaller version like yours, but could get out of control with something like the ORA tank. Being about 4x the volume of yours, I would imagine the evaporation would be a lot higher, making it difficult to fit a top off reservoir big enough to last a week inside the stand with the sump!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back