Zero nitrates and phosphates, should I do anything?

Weebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title sums it up, my tank has been set up for about 14 weeks at this point, everything has been stable besides minor fluctuations in alkalinity. Nitrates have been hovering around 5ppm for a while but over the past 2-3 weeks they've declined to zero as of today. I've read that having zero nitrates and phosphates isn't ideal but everything seems to be doing well as of now, I did just also introduce six new corals to the tank including a medium sized frogspawn and torch (everything else is pretty small). So is there something I should be doing to "fix" this? I feed frozen mysis daily and sprinkle a few pellets 1-2x a week. Here is a shot of my parameters over time:

Water.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do, don’t do it fast. Honestly, if your system looks good, think hard before doing anything at all.

OP
OP
Weebay

Weebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you have an algae problem?
2. What are you using for test kits?
No algae, I thought I saw a small amount forming on the sandbed last week but after a water change and vacuum of the sand in the area it hasn't come back.

I am using the Red Sea master test kit and the Salifert phosphate test.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This happened to my tank around the same time frame and I had Dinos within a week. They weren't terrible and a black out, peroxide and bacteria dosing fixed them and extra feeding and reducing my lights increased my waste levels. Randy's and other's advice fixed my Dino problem. I'd listen to him and maybe try feeding pellets and extra day or two a week so you have some testable levels.

Back