Zoa’s and Ph

reefermadness21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Ph are zoa’s happiest?, my tank water stays at 7.8 pretty regularly, I have read they like 8.0- 8.2, most of mine are happy but some will not open.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. I've resorted to leaving open two of my windows at all times (starting yesterday) and I'm hoping that will get enough fresh air going throughout my bedroom (where my DT is located) to raise my pH. I checked my pH yesterday and it was between 7.5 and 7.8! Most of my corals seem fine except 2 zoas (they're slowly opening up) and I can't remember the last one but I think its a blastimusa.

I bought a couple window fans to try and increase how much fresh air my room gets but won't receive them until next week. I'll put one in my bedroom that brings in fresh air and one in my office window (connected to my bedroom) to exhaust all the used air. I put a air purifier next to the tank to kind of circulate the air around it (I dont think it actually removes any co2).

I'm gonna do a test on my parameters today and I'll let you know if my pH has risen at all with the windows open

Last edited:

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested my pH and opening my windows worked wonders! Didn't even have to wait for the fans to get here!

My pH just tested at 8.2 with Red Seas Marine Care test kit.

Just half-opening those 2 windows I mentioned in my last post and also I think with the air purifier helping in circulating the air around the tank it helped significantly in raising my pH

I don't know if you have any access to fresh air but if you can get some flowing around the area where the tank is it might help with your pH as well.

I noticed you live in CA. I know the winters can get a little chilly depending where you live here. I'm in Monterey County and where I am it doesn't get too bad. Just keep a little space heater if you're safely able to do so.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run a skimmer , pipe the air intake out doors. Of course if climate is friendly, just open a window. Up north, we don't always have that choice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back