Zoa Closing Early

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Been having some issues with a few zoas (Scrambled eggs, super sayains) that have been opening fully for the first 6 hours of the photo period. However they start to close halfway through the lighting period and will reopen the next day. I’ve tried dipping and a few various locations (par from 75-150). All other corals are healthy (SPS,LPS).
C0983E84-15EF-4560-B27E-6F88285C8A59.jpeg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try hitting them with a blast or 3 from a turkey baster.
If that doesn't work my Zoas open when I dose with Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner for Marine. They love that stuff.
I also seen a video on youtube where a guy rinsed them under tap water, but I never tried that.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried chemiclean in the tank before but trying not to do that. I may try the dip/freshwater to see if that helps.
Any threads on vibrant? Curious to see others results as I haven’t heard that oke before

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad vibrant experience months after using it seemed to start cyano, but thats not helpful for your zoas, and could have been user error, but a common one..(overdosing)....:(

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried chemiclean in the tank before but trying not to do that. I may try the dip/freshwater to see if that helps.
Any threads on vibrant? Curious to see others results as I haven’t heard that oke before
I’ve had bad luck with using vibrant lol are you dosing anything like a*b combo

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had bad luck with using vibrant lol are you dosing anything like a*b combo
My zoas like decent flow not full blast decent lighting of course start at bottom and see if changes have been made if not move up. They like dirty water so if you have no nitrates in the water column they prob won’t be very happy.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad vibrant experience months after using it seemed to start cyano, but thats not helpful for your zoas, and could have been user error, but a common one..(overdosing)....:(
I thought I had a Cyano outbreak on some rock but it wouldn't come off after hitting it with a toothbrush.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I dose AB+ every other day (15ml/100g), feed heavy Benepets and phyto every other day.
Well you are doing everything right now long have you had them? Zoas have a kind of their own and close up and open all the time whenever they want how they want

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had a Cyano outbreak on some rock but it wouldn't come off after hitting it with a toothbrush.
Thats how this was too, red and right in the highest flow, tooth brush wouldn't get the hard to reach stuff. Its not like a matt, looks like cyano or something close..is this what you had?

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I had red algae it looked like a spider web over rocks and was easy to remove with a toothbrush, This stuff is easy to get to on the rock, I can chip it off with a scrapper or a pick kind of like Coralline Algae.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing obvious effecting the polyps. They open perfectly for the first 4 hours of the photoperiod and slowly close by hour 6 regardless of location in tank. I’ve had them for awhile…. And its been going on for a bit

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, The peroxide dip followed by a chemiclean treatment seems to have done the trick! Staying open for the full photoperiod now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back