Zoa Colony Help

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Krawl how old is your tank? You really shouldnt be getting any reading of ammonia if your tank has been cycled?
In a reef tank you want to check your Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Nitrate, Phosphate, Salinity. Those are the main ones you'll want to keep an eye on. Nitrite and ammonia should not be readable.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had the tank setup since October of last year. We do a 20% water change once a month. The tank is really not stocked much either.

Oohkris123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank should be more than establish, I'd say it's a mature tank ready for just about anything

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what we thought. The coral did okay with what we put in at first. Then added a few nice pieces and left with green Zoa colony and a green star polyp. It seems to be doing good. I think the ammonia spike is because I can't find 2 gobis. Not sure what happened to them.

Oohkris123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that big of a tank 4 small fishes can die and not do harm to that size of a tank, now if you're having a bunch of benifical bacteria and live stock including coral dying than that'll be your cause of algae outbreak and slow death to living thing you put in

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is one we got off of Amazon. It was recommend by a guy that has a large successful coral tank. He has no issues.

And the tank does not really have Algae problems other than what is growing on this now rock.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the zoas are on a plug just pull out the plug pluck it off. Give it a hydrogen peroxide dip for like 5 minutes rinse and put it back in tank. The algea will turn white and your hermits and snails will eat it or emerald crab if you have

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so things are not better... worse. We went on a 10 day vacation and the person watching the tank MAJORLY over feed the tank. Zoas and tank look like a science experiment. Took the rock and zoas out and dipped them in coral dip. No real change. Pulled all the junk off of it I could and also scrubbed the rock while in the dip. Been doing weekly water changes and even started a 16 week vodka dosing deal. No real changes 2 weeks into that. Getting a lot of plant looking ailge in the tank to. Not sure why our tank keeps going down hill...

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Went to the LFS today and picked up a bottle of Vibrant. Going to start that tomorrow after our weekly water change.

20170723_001112.jpg

20170723_001056.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back