Zoa colony

realz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this today - do you think something like a branch is growing ? Can anyone help ID?
WechatIMG887.jpeg

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same color as the picture, same as the colony.
Should i remove?

If this is a sponge, and very likely that it is, then I would just let it be. Sponges tend to spring up from live rock at times or may have hitchhiked with the zoas.

Typically, the sudden residence of a sponge is a sign of tank maturity. Also, it could also be a sign of extra nutrients in the water column--- this is good though. You can use the sponge as a natural barometer for nutrient levels. It will filter your water as well as start to recede as nutrient levels start to fall below what can sustain it.

Also, there are a ton of creatures that will eat sponges (angels, triggers, file fish and a host of invertebrates. )

All this being said, keep an eye on the zoas around it. It's more likely the zoas will kill the sponge, but it's good to be observant nonetheless.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pull it out w tweezers. They actual can annoy Zoa. I have to pick em out every so often out a big ole eagle eye colony. Won’t kill em or anything but can grow into the polyp bases and get quite large. Yoke it out in my opinion

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

Back