Zoa Dip - Hydrogen Peroxide?

Randomtabby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for the polyps, both open and closed, to be filled with gas after the dip? Someone said it takes about a day to dissipate? I can see bubbles inside the flesh of the opened polyps. I don't think they are able to close up atm. I have two small frags which are not on rock, so they are floating at the surface. I have since put them on reef plug pieces with elastics.

Last edited:

ocreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, that's so awesome. I will for sure try that the next time I put my bear paws on new zoas/palys. thanks for the tip guys.

cmjreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Patwa. You say 1:10 HP to RO/DI... do you mean Freshwater RO/DI? Just making sure.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping to the top for linking purposes . . .

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide is great for fungal or bacterial issues when it comes to polyps, but in regards to pox, I'd still go with the Furan2 route.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a colony of Zoas die after the H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) dip, so anyone doing this should follow the directions above CAREFULLY and not exceed what was listed for those who have done it successfully.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do more the 10% peroxide- 90% SW? and how long did you dip for?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a long time ago, so I'm not sure, but I think I did 10%, but I left them in for 20 minutes.

I've left frags in the medicated water for up to 60 minutes with no ill effects, don't recommend it, but I have done it. Make sure that you're regulating your water temperature during the dipping process.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had great success with HP and fungus. It's our go to at the first sign of it anymore. We usually do a min of 30 minutes and then into high flow. We have left frags (accidentally) in the HP solution for 2 hours with no ill effects. They did have extra bubbles under the skin and took an extra day or two to recover, but still recovered none the less. If we have an extra bad case of fungus, we up the amount of time in solution.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We have had great success with HP and fungus. It's our go to at the first sign of it anymore. We usually do a min of 30 minutes and then into high flow. We have left frags (accidentally) in the HP solution for 2 hours with no ill effects. They did have extra bubbles under the skin and took an extra day or two to recover, but still recovered none the less. If we have an extra bad case of fungus, we up the amount of time in solution.

That's exactly what I remember using it for back with a particular pink polyp that seemed to fungus up pretty easy during shipping.

Gomojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What % solution of HP are you guy's using? They just mentioned doing this in the new issue of Coral magazine and they said use 50% mix of store bought HP and saltwater. The store bought HP that I grabbed was 3%. But I know they offer higher strength solutions!

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is 3%, I use 10% worth of peroxide and 90% worth of saltwater in a plastic beer cup for small frags or if dipping big colonies I use a gollons worth of the combination in a 5 gallon bucket.

Gomojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully I didn't kill them with a 50-50 mix of 3% solution with saltwater for 5 mins! There was air under the tissue after I did it, but it sounds like that is normal!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back