zoa eating nudibranchs vs FWE

ahtatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6g mini bow thats fairly new. I noticed some of my zoanthids begining act wierd. Closing throughout the day, skirts looking really short when others zoas right next to the affected zoas look perfectly fine. Once the lights went off i noticed small white bumps on the closed zoas and then a small nudibranch. Followed by several more.. I took the frag out and dipped it in iodine and saw several fall off, but i doubt it was all of them.
If i continue to notice the nudibranches I was thinking about treating my tank with some flat worm exit.

I haven't used this product before and i was wondering if it would be better to dose the whole tank, as to prevent spreading to another colony, or just this frag for the time being?
What kind of dosing should I be using?

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure flatworm exit only works on flatworms, not nudis. If anyone can confirm? If possible, you could add a fish (until the nudis are gone) that'd prey on the nudis, like a 6 line wrasse. Or just keep doing the dips but the dip will not affect the eggs if they have laid any. Just keep a close eye on it. Good luck.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
FWE is a excellant tool for dipping zoanthid frags and colonies in to get rid of the zoanthid eating nudi's.
I dipped many pieces in a separate bowl of tank water for about a minute at 4x the recoomended dose on the box.
I even dosed the tank at this strenght, but it raised hell with all the other inverts in the tank.

But your discription of them seems a little off. Zoanthid eating nudi's almost always contain color. Usually the color of the zoanthid they are eating or of the zoanthid they just craweled off of.

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have any asterina stars in there? They were aggravating my zoas.

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWE is a excellant tool for dipping zoanthid frags and colonies in to get rid of the zoanthid eating nudi's.
I dipped many pieces in a separate bowl of tank water for about a minute at 4x the recoomended dose on the box.
I even dosed the tank at this strenght, but it raised hell with all the other inverts in the tank.

But your discription of them seems a little off. Zoanthid eating nudi's almost always contain color. Usually the color of the zoanthid they are eating or of the zoanthid they just craweled off of.

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

His description sounds right to me. He did not say the nudis was white but that the bumps were white. This would be the eggs. I had nudis in my tank also. I got rid of them with a dip and flatworm exit combo. First I dipped all my zoas and rocks around them in revive. This killed all the adults I then pulled all the eggs of that I could. You will never get them all but get as many as possible. I waited 3 days dosed my tank with the flatworm exit. This killed of any new nudis that had hatched but did not give them time to lay eggs. Follow the instructions on the box and you should be good. I had no problems with anything in my tank. This worked for me.

OP
OP
A

ahtatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FWE didn't do the job. I'm about to go out and get the materials to start a quarantine tank, although I'm not entirely sure what good it will do. I'm pretty bummed about it.

The other day I received an order from aqua sd, which is awesome (thank you guys), and with it came a free small red zoa frag. Theres no signs of the nudis on them yet, but I probably just cant see them.
I feel like my zoanthids are doomed. :/

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The FWE didn't do the job. I'm about to go out and get the materials to start a quarantine tank, although I'm not entirely sure what good it will do. I'm pretty bummed about it.

The other day I received an order from aqua sd, which is awesome (thank you guys), and with it came a free small red zoa frag. Theres no signs of the nudis on them yet, but I probably just cant see them.
I feel like my zoanthids are doomed. :/

I have never had FWE not do it's job. What was the doseage you used?

OP
OP
A

ahtatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions say 4 drops for every 10 gallons..
I put 12 drops in my 6 gallons.
waited 30 minutes and did a 25% water change.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The directions say 4 drops for every 10 gallons..
I put 12 drops in my 6 gallons.
waited 30 minutes and did a 25% water change.

Should have been enough.
I usually dip all my new zoanthids in the FWE dip ( at 4x the recommended dose) and if there are any nudi's on them, they usually fall off with in 10 to 20 seconds and then actually fall apart.

When you said the FWE didn't do the job, did you see more nudibranchs crawling around?

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the FWE isn't doing the job, fire up the qt and dip them in Bayer Advanced. Place them in the qt, wait a few days, then dip again. The Bayer WILL get rid of the nudis.

DO NOT DOSE BAYER IN YOUR TANK. Sorry for yelling, but it's very important that you not dose your tank with it. Bayer advanced is not part of my "incoming coral treatment". It's good stuff.

OP
OP
A

ahtatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have been enough.
I usually dip all my new zoanthids in the FWE dip ( at 4x the recommended dose) and if there are any nudi's on them, they usually fall off with in 10 to 20 seconds and then actually fall apart.

When you said the FWE didn't do the job, did you see more nudibranchs crawling around?

No, I didn't see them again untill the next day

OP
OP
A

ahtatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the FWE isn't doing the job, fire up the qt and dip them in Bayer Advanced. Place them in the qt, wait a few days, then dip again. The Bayer WILL get rid of the nudis.

DO NOT DOSE BAYER IN YOUR TANK. Sorry for yelling, but it's very important that you not dose your tank with it. Bayer advanced is not part of my "incoming coral treatment". It's good stuff.

bayer, like asprin??

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer Advanced Insect Killer

No, I am not joking. Do a search and you will find many folks using this to successfully treat bugs on their corals. I use 1cc in two cups of tank water, dip for 2 minutes. It will eliminate fw's, nudis, zoa spiders and a host of other creepy crawlies that you don't want on your corals. Be aware, this will kill anything with a nervous system, which is why you can't use it in your tank.

I'll see if I can round up a couple of links for you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back