Zoa Eating Snails?

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out for the life of me what's slowly eating my zoas.... just when I thought I had it pinpointed to be amphipods, I see these snails all over a zoa frag that i separated from the display 5days ago. They were right ontop where the frag was, 4 or 5 of them, by the time I got my phone they scurried to the underside of the plug. Could these be eating them too? Amphipods and these snail lookin things are the only thing on the zoas at night. I added 2 wrasses (yellow coris and red fairy) there has been a substantial decline in the # of pods in the 75g. There is also a pair of mandarins w/ the wrasses and a baby seahorse in the fuge. Does anyone have any experience with amphipods or snails killing zoas? Everything else in the tank is doing wonderful. Been dealing with this problem for 6months on and off,any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out for the life of me what's slowly eating my zoas.... just when I thought I had it pinpointed to be amphipods, I see these snails all over a zoa frag that i separated from the display 5days ago. They were right ontop where the frag was, 4 or 5 of them, by the time I got my phone they scurried to the underside of the plug. Could these be eating them too? Amphipods and these snail lookin things are the only thing on the zoas at night. I added 2 wrasses (yellow coris and red fairy) there has been a substantial decline in the # of pods in the 75g. There is also a pair of mandarins w/ the wrasses and a baby seahorse in the fuge. Does anyone have any experience with amphipods or snails killing zoas? Everything else in the tank is doing wonderful. Been dealing with this problem for 6months on and off,any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Sorry here's a few pics

Attachments

• 20210703_125615.jpg
    20210703_125615.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210703_125611.jpg
    20210703_125611.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210703_125552.jpg
    20210703_125552.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210703_125538.jpg
    20210703_125538.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 104

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any asterina stars in the tank ? the snails you show look like baby whelk or drupella snails. If so, they would eat zoa. Sun dial snails as well as Drupella, Heliacus and Coralliophila snails will eat zoas.

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! No asterina,just all kinds of snails in the tank multiplying ever since I took out the crabs. So whelk,drupella,heliacus,coralliophila,sundial,box..... is that all? Jesus I'm gonna be over the tank at night with the flashlight again. Fun,fun!
Any asterina stars in the tank ? the snails you show look like baby whelk or drupella snails. If so, they would eat zoa. Sun dial snails as well as Drupella, Heliacus and Coralliophila snails

OP
OP
FreeEnergyReefer

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throws in 2 emerald crabs last week who actually eat bubble algae hopefully theyll eat them too. Will the box snail predators out there please stand up! After fireworks we're goin hunting!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I throws in 2 emerald crabs last week who actually eat bubble algae hopefully theyll eat them too. Will the box snail predators out there please stand up! After fireworks we're goin hunting!
As far i as i know, nothing eats the sun dial (box snail). You will have to manually remove them. Also, sounds like they have had 6months to reproduce in your system. Ouch.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where do you guys see sundial snails on those pictures? I see stomatellas and maybe colonista snails, maybe something else, but no sundials
Out of the pictures she posted, I don't even know if she has boxed snails.
the one I circled as red is the only one who could be a boxed snail - sun dial.
The blue circles are stomatella snails.
But it might even be a nicely patterned stomatella.
Maybe she's nuking her clean up crew.

Attachments

• boxed.jpg
    boxed.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 71

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the pictures she posted, I don't even know if she has boxed snails.
the one I circled as red is the only one who could be a boxed snail - sun dial.
The blue circles are stomatella snails.
But it might even be a nicely patterned stomatella.
Maybe she's nuking her clean up crew.
The red circled one has a smooth shell, or at least no visible radial grooves, the checkered sundial snail has radial grooves that align with the pattern, like you can see on the picture that was posted of an actual sundial snail, and the pattern is very geometrical, not really random, they are also much flatter

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The red circled one has a smooth shell, or at least no visible radial grooves, the checkered sundial snail has radial grooves that align with the pattern, like you can see on the picture that was posted of an actual sundial snail, and the pattern is very geometrical, not really random, they are also much flatter
I wasn't sure on the red circle, as photos can leave out a lot of detail. Hopefully she looked at the sun dial photo and didnt kill everyone who doesn't look like said picture.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back