Zoa frag help

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I got this Zoa frag a few months ago and haven't been able to keep it happy. It's looked like this for the past 1-2 months. I've tried dipping in coral rx, higher and lower flow areas and also different lighting around the tank. Any suggestions to help save it?

High level info...
5 month old tank.
Other corals are happy and growing.
This frag went into the tank very early on and went through the all the algae outbreaks and screw ups from a new reefer. I believe this started during a GHA outbreak which I started using GFO and cut photo period back to 8 hours to get rid of.

parameters...
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 78
Nitrate - around 5
Phosphates - .03-.1
Alk 8.3
PH - around 7.8 using API

IMG_20190622_150454.jpeg

Ka0s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise it up. It's reaching and I would say it was damaged. Either way it's reaching for light.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you run T5’s? Maybe they need replacing? I agree, needs more light. Magnetic frag racks great for this until you find the sweet spot then move it to similarly light, flow patterns it liked on the rack.

Ka0s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the rack. It will for sure save you alot of time and grief on placement. Also t5's for sure get old.

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Running LEDs but will definitely try moving it up to see what happens.

It's hard to see in the picture but the outer skirt is brown. Can Zoes/Palys get bacteria or algae growing on them?

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And been meaning to get a frag rack. This sounds like a good excuse.

Ka0s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just below this post in the zoa is forum is a post I made about zoas losing color. I also had zoas with brown skirts that I got from an online seller. This has been since.fixed with proper lighting and tank mantainence.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said. It could help to raise it up. But besides that, I would leave it alone. I have zoas that do this for periods of time then then will rebound back eventually. There are other things you could try, like Furan 2 and chemiclean, but I don't think that's necessary yet to waste your money on them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back