Zoa garden

Redemption626

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so just getting tank cycled and super excited to get first fish into the tank.. question I have even though I know I’m still two-three months out, when I get to that point I want to do a zoa garden. I’ve got a little island already aquascaped for it. How many can I add at once and how fast do they tend to grow. I have a shopping list of 8-10 different colors I want to get on the island. I was going to start with a spiderman zoa but don’t want it taking the whole island over for its self. Now during the time of getting the island populated I’m not planning on adding any fish or anything if this helps. Thanks all in advance for the tips/advice.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don't have a bioload, so you can add as many as you want. Its up to you how much you want to spend, and of course being your first corals, how much you want to risk on our first coral purchase. But I typically buy 3-4-5 corals at a time.

Zoa's grow at different speeds, I believe that spiderman zoa's are some of the faster growers.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ This! Make sure you have sufficient nitrates and phosphates . Zoas thrive with higher nutrients. Here is mine after 2 years if it gives you an idea.
E5B1CF8B-310B-4C0A-BA68-26F98B4EEFE9.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago in my 120 I had a roughly 12"x12" zoa garden. One of the best ways to do it is use multiple rocks if possible that way you can keep faster growing zoas from over growing slower ones easier. Just add a small rock in between colonies, remove a small rock ready made frag.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One tip I give new zoanthid collectors, is when you pack a bunch of different zoanthids together, there are usually one or two faster growing zoanthids that will crowd out the slower ones. Be ready to move some when you see that happening.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tip I give new zoanthid collectors, is when you pack a bunch of different zoanthids together, there are usually one or two faster growing zoanthids that will crowd out the slower ones. Be ready to move some when you see that happening.
Yep, this ^^ I am currently pruning out Pandoras like weeds as they are overrunning others.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back