Zoa getting dull and smaller, but continue to grow

dkorenieva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have Fluval evo 13.5g tank started at the end of September. Haven’t replaced light or filtration. I have introduced multiple Zoa and Duncan coral in mid October. Then hammers in November and few corals in December.
Zoa corals seemed to be doing well for a month or so. But then I noticed Zoa becoming duller and duller. Some have shrienked. Though they continue to grow small heads. What can be the problem with them?

Current inhabitants:
2 hermit crabs
Trochus snail, astrea snail, cerith snail, bumblebee snail
1 clownfish
1 shark nose goby
1 rock flower anemone
1 Duncan coral
2 hammer corals (seem to be the most thriving of the corals now)
1 micromussa
1 acan bowerbanki
1 acan lord
Big piece of Chaeto

My water parameters:
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0
pH = 8.3
kH = 8.0 - 8.7
Ca = 360
Mg = 1010
PO4 = 0
Salinity = 1.025-1.026
Temp = 26C

I’ve got tests for Ca and Mg just couple of days ago, so started to raise these parameters slowly. Alkalinity fluctuates through the week: highest after water change and then falls each day.
I dose 5ml of all-for-reef everyday (started recently as well)
Chaeto grows really nicely now. Introduced copepods as well

Attached photos of zoa

IMG_8384.jpeg IMG_8383.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PO4 is low. Corals store phospholipids for a rainy day. Once it's used up they run the risk of bleaching as their zooxanthellae scavenge for what little phosphorus might be available.

FWIW .03 mg/l is the threshold level to prevent phosphorus limitation in corals, identified by researchers at Southampton University in England using corals maintained in an aquarium for about a decade. .3 mg/l is what corals are subjected to with upwelling in the ocean. .5 mg/l might be acceptable for some as acros have been shown to increase growth up to this level. .9mg/l is the level the Steinhart Aqaurium's ex situ sexually reproduced acro colonies are being grwon out with. Rich Ross's (who's part of the team at Steinhart) has his acro dominate mixed reef sitting at 1.8 mg/l, his tank can be seen at the beginning of his MACNA presentation on phosphate. You can see his current levels as well as some cool videos of corals spawning in his thread.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that light as is, isn't the best for growing coral. I had the same issue till I bought a better light and got my phosphate in line then they started to perk up and color back up. Add in your AFR is a good start for sure! Also get that mag level up around 1300-1400, AFR wont add enough mag to bring it up. What salt are you using?

OP
OP
D

dkorenieva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to increase PO4 level? I feed more than fish can eat and plenty of food is left on the sand for crabs to finish. But heavy feeding doesn’t increase anything in the tank.
Would dosing Brightwell Aquatics NeoPhos or Seachem flourish phosphorus solve the problem? https://www.jlaquatics.com/additives/brightwell-aquatics-neophos-500ml.html

Should I decrease amount of Chaeto as well?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PO4 is low. Corals store phospholipids for a rainy day. Once it's used up they run the risk of bleaching as their zooxanthellae scavenge for what little phosphorus might be available.

FWIW .03 mg/l is the threshold level to prevent phosphorus limitation in corals, identified by researchers at Southampton University in England using corals maintained in an aquarium for about a decade. .3 mg/l is what corals are subjected to with upwelling in the ocean. .5 mg/l might be acceptable for some as acros have been shown to increase growth up to this level. .9mg/l is the level the Steinhart Aqaurium's ex situ sexually reproduced acro colonies are being grwon out with. Rich Ross's (who's part of the team at Steinhart) has his acro dominate mixed reef sitting at 1.8 mg/l, his tank can be seen at the beginning of his MACNA presentation on phosphate. You can see his current levels as well as some cool videos of corals spawning in his thread.

Well that helps me out! My po4 is currently at the threshold level for a week or so, I've been trying to up feedings though even with one cube a day it's stayed the same (coral only setup) well I guess that's a sign my makeshift hair algae refeugium is working a little too well lol

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thumps up emojii 25.png

FWIW I wouldn't use an algae scrubber. As you noticed algae competes with corals for nutrients but algae also dumps Dissolved Organic Compounds, DOC, into the water that can have direct and indirect effects on corals. Sinc e cryptic sponges are excellent for removing labile DOC (includiong types that can't be removed with skimmers or GAC) and are essential recyclers I would pull the algae and turn off the lights and add some live rock rubble for the sponges to grow on. Here's some links if you want on DOC and sponges:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity
Algae releases significantly more DOC into the water than coral.

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
DOC caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Visualization of oxygen distribution patterns caused by coral and algae

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution
(here's an argument for maintaining heavy fish loads if you're carbon dosing)

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

Biophysical and physiological processes causing oxygen loss from coral reefs.

Global microbialization of coral reefs (coral decline correlates with increased algae and DOC)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back