Zoa growth Theory

bonarjoseph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if any one has done this but I have a theory. It’s a known fact that some corals will grow faster if they are fragged, such as zoa. My theory is tricking the zoa into believing it has been fragged. The basics are just cut into the spaces in between the polyps. I just did this with a few of my cheaper pieces. I will keep you updated on their growth.
Sets 1=5 polyps
2=2 polyps
3= 4 polyps
4=2 polyps
As of 10/13/19
Feel free to add on to the theory and hopefully we can actively speed up coral growth.
I am also dosing one drop of iodine every day.

this theory is taking place in a zoomed frag tank
Lighting= 2 ocean revive te 247
Filtration = forza f7 canister filter
Temp= 76 degrees f
Turn over rate for tank by power head= 10x
Intensity is controllable on the ocean revives and I chose 25/100 on both. Under blue lighting

I also have other frags in the same system but wouldn’t really call it a control group do to them having the same dosing. Also if the space between two polyps is cut they might fuse back, so I am thinking about cutting it in the direction I want it to grow.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I did not experience faster growth after fraging any of my colonies in all my 20+ years of reefkeeping.
I've heard of that many times and tried different ways many times with my zoa colonies, but they always grow at the same speed in my systems.
Could that theory be only a mind trick?
Or maybe I'm missing something in the process.
Very interesting thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonarjoseph

bonarjoseph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I did not experience faster growth after fraging any of my colonies in all my 20+ years of reefkeeping.
I've heard of that many times and tried different ways many times with my zoa colonies, but they always grow at the same speed in my systems.
Could that theory be only a mind trick?
Or maybe I'm missing something in the process.
Very interesting thread.
Might be but I think it makes sense.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if any one has done this but I have a theory. It’s a known fact that some corals will grow faster if they are fragged, such as zoa. My theory is tricking the zoa into believing it has been fragged. The basics are just cut into the spaces in between the polyps. I just did this with a few of my cheaper pieces. I will keep you updated on their growth.
Sets 1=5 polyps
2=2 polyps
3= 4 polyps
4=2 polyps
As of 10/13/19
Feel free to add on to the theory and hopefully we can actively speed up coral growth.
I am also dosing one drop of iodine every day.

this theory is taking place in a zoomed frag tank
Lighting= 2 ocean revive te 247
Filtration = forza f7 canister filter
Temp= 76 degrees f
Turn over rate for tank by power head= 10x
Intensity is controllable on the ocean revives and I chose 25/100 on both. Under blue lighting

I also have other frags in the same system but wouldn’t really call it a control group do to them having the same dosing. Also if the space between two polyps is cut they might fuse back, so I am thinking about cutting it in the direction I want it to grow.
so did it work?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With zoas I can tell you 100% they grow and spread faster as a colony. Growth normally doesnt take off til you have at least 8 heads.

Back