ZOA help - shriveling up

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve had these zoa’s for about 6 months. Just recently they started shriveling up. I don’t have current water parameters, will take some to get tested this weekend as I don’t trust my color blind eyes or API tests.

Any ideas without seeing the water parameters? Tank has a pair of clowns and a diamond goby. Several snails and hermit crabs I bought from reefcleaners.
IMG_0042.jpeg

OP
OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fluval marine 3.0, just a single one. I just increased the cyan, blue and purple to 100% starting today, the blue and purple were already at 100 but not cyan. I’ve had some algae issues so I backed the white down from around 75 to 35% starting today as well.

I have seen a snail and a hermit on the ZOA heads, so maybe they are just bothering them and low lighting…I don’t know.

OP
OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just closing the loop on this in case anyone else reads this. I had my water tested at LFS and my nitrates are 0. They advised I decrease water changes from every week to every other week. I may not clean the sand bed as thoroughly as I was and I’m going overfeed and use reef roads more than I was. Hopefully I see the Nitrates start to come back quickly.

I also picked up a Hanna checker for Nitrate HR. Going to leave my light settings alone for now and monitor Nitrates they come back quickly.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on this issue. My Zoa are doing the same and my nitrates are 11 and phos is .12. Par at the Zoa are 190 for me.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any word on this issue. My Zoa are doing the same and my nitrates are 11 and phos is .12. Par at the Zoa are 190 for me.
I'm not the original poster, but I can give my two cents.

Your nutrients and par sound good @Johnic . I'd look at flow or just try "cleaning" your zoa colony with a turkey baster at least weekly. Unless you have a ton of flow to blow detritus off them, it can settle between the polyps of the zoa mattes and cause them to be grumpy.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the original poster, but I can give my two cents.

Your nutrients and par sound good @Johnic . I'd look at flow or just try "cleaning" your zoa colony with a turkey baster at least weekly. Unless you have a ton of flow to blow detritus off them, it can settle between the polyps of the zoa mattes and cause them to be grumpy.
Ok, I’ll try blowing them off once a week. It’s odd, the adjacent zoa look great But might get better flow. thanks a lot

OP
OP
K

krinkldink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are looking much better after my nitrates increased. I do “blow” the detritus off from around them every so often, maybe that has also helped.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back