New Diamond Goby (Help)

trentj3232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I got this diamond goby from my lfs last night, after about an hour of drip acclimation, he was breathing heavy, and sometimes allows himself to just float in the current. Is this normal for a new fish? Is he just “adjusting” or possibly about to die ?
Water parameters were tested, everything is as it should be. He was also acclimated with a canary wrasse, 15 hermits, 5 conch, and 2 snails and everything else is fine.
If the attachments don’t work

Attachments

• IMG_1461.mov
    75.4 MB
  • IMG_1460.mov
    60.1 MB
OP
OP
T

trentj3232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try getting a video under white light?

Do you see any signs of disease, like film or white spots developing on the body?

#fishmedic
Not that I can tell. My lfs said to give it a few more days, but I don’t want him to die while I’m at work or sleeping and cause an ammonia spike. I feel terrible, but I was also looking at other fish when my lfs grabbed him for me. Definitely not the one I picked out but didn’t notice til I got home.

OP
OP
T

trentj3232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he fights the current.
Is it strong?
I do have pretty decent flow but my other fish swim just fine in it. I have 2 clowns, like tang, lawnmower blenny, 2 fire fish, canary wrasse that all chill in the water columns.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have pretty decent flow but my other fish swim just fine in it. I have 2 clowns, like tang, lawnmower blenny, 2 fire fish, canary wrasse that all chill in the water columns.
I’d just give him another 24 hours or so.
Could just be scared, it’s a new environment.
This would be his first morning and that movement substantially out of character for the DB.

Has he sucked up any sand at any time, even once?

OP
OP
T

trentj3232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just give him another 24 hours or so.
Could just be scared, it’s a new environment.
This would be his first morning and that movement substantially out of character for the DB.

Has he sucked up any sand at any time, even once?
Yes he’s done the sand thing a few times, doesn’t sift through gills, just spits out. I’m at work at the moment but my roommate said he has found a hole and is still moving and breathing. Maybe he just wasn’t settled in yet?

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he’s done the sand thing a few times, doesn’t sift through gills, just spits out. I’m at work at the moment but my roommate said he has found a hole and is still moving and breathing. Maybe he just wasn’t settled in yet?
If he is just spitting it out instead of filtering it, He might be building a burrow.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I got this diamond goby from my lfs last night, after about an hour of drip acclimation, he was breathing heavy, and sometimes allows himself to just float in the current. Is this normal for a new fish? Is he just “adjusting” or possibly about to die ?
Water parameters were tested, everything is as it should be. He was also acclimated with a canary wrasse, 15 hermits, 5 conch, and 2 snails and everything else is fine.
If the attachments don’t work

Do you have plenty of rock for him to choose for a burrow? MIne spits sand out when he is just moving it where he wants to, he sifts it thru his gills when he is getting pods for food. I would give it another day to see if he does better.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id think gobies are famous for unsettled behaviors in new environments. I’ve had them run vertically up and done the glass for maybe 24-36, then just settle.

No evidence there’s anything else at play, but keep an eye.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you quarantine the fish? If not - it's hard to know whether a disease is brewing. I cannot see the video unfortunately. Can you describe your acclimation? Did you match especially salinity? Additionally, did you order the fish shipped overnight?

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have had a lot of experience with new fish acting up when introduced to a new tank and there are several possibilities but to start of how did you acclimate the fish into the aquarium

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back