Zoa Issue

DaFlava

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two zoas I got that have been growing really well, one though seems to have developed some sorta puffy stuff on it I have no idea what it is. Seems to be taking over the rock. Anyone know what this is or how to handle it?

IMG_0829.jpeg

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what exactly it is, maybe a sponge of sorts? I’d suggest removing it quickly. Looks like you can get that rock out too to prevent a potential spread. Manual removal with a dip will help. I just brought back a frag with a peroxide dip a few weeks ago. They’ve never looked better.

The Acans would be more sensitive to peroxide I believe. proceed with caution. A spot treatment might be more applicable.

OP
OP
D

DaFlava

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So remove the rock and do a coral dip? I've had these zoas awhile now atleast a few months no issues until recently noticed this.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take the frag or rock out, pick out what I can of the sponge, and gently brush the rest off in a container of tank water. In my experience, the sponge will “choke out”the zoas.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thank you. Will try to remove from mine as well.
You’re welcome! If it’s your first time handling zoas, just remember to use some gloves and protective eye wear until you get comfortable as a precaution from possible palytoxin. Probably low risk, but I at least want you to understand.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome! If it’s your first time handling zoas, just remember to use some gloves and protective eye wear until you get comfortable as a precaution from possible palytoxin. Probably low risk, but I at least want you to understand.
I’ll grab some at work tomorrow… not interested in neurological side effects at any rate! Thanks for the warning!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back