Zoa looks good???

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure about my guys. They are opened but the middle part the mouth doesn’t seems opened. It’s supposed to show red and be more colorful, what do you think I can do. All parameters are good maybe too good as they say and it’s at the 9” mark using current USA marine orbit which I know isn’t the best light so mayb that’s it? But do they look healthy to you or not really??

7F94BCA3-CACA-4071-9B9F-032634CF8E34.jpeg

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have u had them
2 weeks, I did have them on the bottom so I moved them to the top and they opened more but still not completely and aren’t showing the red they’re suppose to have in the middle

Amberjade53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they are not liking something to me. Maybe too much flow? You know when they are happy they show you. I have tons of different zoa's in frag tank and they are all different with flow.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was weird, I would put frags of rastas in my wife's nano from the reef tank and they literally would loose color and slowly shrink up. She had a current orbit marine led light on the tank. Zoas was a coral that just did not do well in her tank.

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was weird, I would put frags of rastas in my wife's nano from the reef tank and they literally would loose color and slowly shrink up. She had a current orbit marine led light on the tank. Zoas was a coral that just did not do well in her tank.
It’s gotta be the light, I got 4 T5 vbulbs I’m hoping they thrive with that, if not then I know it’s my water, I don’t have a magnesium iodine potassium test kit, are those super crucial to zoa color and growth??

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is a good test to have but the others I wouldn't waste money on unless your dosing iodine and potassium. Grew many colonies of zoas with rastas being my favorite and weekly water changes was the main source of dosing with alkalinity and calcium dosed during the week. For testing I recommend alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Alkalinity was tested day and night but we had a high consumption rate.

OP
OP
Armani

Armani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is a good test to have but the others I wouldn't waste money on unless your dosing iodine and potassium. Grew many colonies of zoas with rastas being my favorite and weekly water changes was the main source of dosing with alkalinity and calcium dosed during the week. For testing I recommend alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Alkalinity was tested day and night but we had a high consumption rate.
What is the purpose of mag in the tank what does it do. I have no sump or anything just a hob filter and canister filter, I have space to add things what is something Beneficial I can add? More biomatrix? I also took out carbon from my hob but not the canister, should I also take that out? I hear it’s not needed really until you have something to remove and for water clarity

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of magnesium as the equilibrium between alkalinity and calcium. The chemistry section can really break it down for you. Plenty of live rock should be enough without adding additional media. Always had carbon in the tank changed monthly. With your setup, IMO, water changes will be very important.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%

Back