Zoa Melting Help

AAReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had about 12-13 types of Zoas over the past year and only 5 of them have survived. The ones that survive, thrive. The ones that don't survive, typically only last 1-3 weeks. There is nothing visually wrong with them ever, they just kind of shrink and shrink until they disappear. What could the issue be? I use the blue bucket of Red Sea Reef Salt and have decent lighting (for lower light requirement corals). Any thoughts are helpful.

IMG_3210.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had about 12-13 types of Zoas over the past year and only 5 of them have survived. The ones that survive, thrive. The ones that don't survive, typically only last 1-3 weeks. There is nothing visually wrong with them ever, they just kind of shrink and shrink until they disappear. What could the issue be? I use the blue bucket of Red Sea Reef Salt and have decent lighting (for lower light requirement corals). Any thoughts are helpful.

IMG_3210.jpeg
This happens mainly due to stress which can be can be to too much light or water flow, sudden change in parameters and even use of vodka or carbon dosing which reduce nitrate quickly. Assure salinity and Phos has not become elevated. A lack of feeding can generally cause meltdowns also. Zoa s do not the type of flow SPS require and moderate flow to keep sediment off them is sufficient but most adapt to any flow. Zoas that show short stalks closer to rock are suffering from high flow. If stretching towards water surface- light is inadequate.
Some ranges you want them in are:
dKH: 8- 11
Calcium: 400 - 450
Magnesium: 1300 - 1350
Iodide: Maintained via regular water changes or manually at small dosages
Temperature: 78-79 degrees
pH: 8.1-8.3
Phosphates: .06 - .08
Nitrates < 10-12

Add iodide to the water which they covert to iodine. You can give them iodine bath with Lugols version

OP
OP
A

AAReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens mainly due to stress which can be can be to too much light or water flow, sudden change in parameters and even use of vodka or carbon dosing which reduce nitrate quickly. Assure salinity and Phos has not become elevated. A lack of feeding can generally cause meltdowns also. Zoa s do not the type of flow SPS require and moderate flow to keep sediment off them is sufficient but most adapt to any flow. Zoas that show short stalks closer to rock are suffering from high flow. If stretching towards water surface- light is inadequate.
Some ranges you want them in are:
dKH: 8- 11
Calcium: 400 - 450
Magnesium: 1300 - 1350
Iodide: Maintained via regular water changes or manually at small dosages
Temperature: 78-79 degrees
pH: 8.1-8.3
Phosphates: .06 - .08
Nitrates < 10-12

Add iodide to the water which they covert to iodine. You can give them iodine bath with Lugols version
The zoas aren't extended towards light and they are near the wavemaker, but they are receiving medium flow. Lack of feeding meaning lack of fish being fed or lack of direct feeding the coral?
dKH - 10
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 1260
Temp - 78 degrees
pH - 8.3
Phosphate - .25 (how do I lower it?)
Nitrates - < 5 (I have a HOB skimmer and a .5 gallon HOB refugium with chaeto)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The zoas aren't extended towards light and they are near the wavemaker, but they are receiving medium flow. Lack of feeding meaning lack of fish being fed or lack of direct feeding the coral?
dKH - 10
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 1260
Temp - 78 degrees
pH - 8.3
Phosphate - .25 (how do I lower it?)
Nitrates - < 5 (I have a HOB skimmer and a .5 gallon HOB refugium with chaeto)
Lack of feeding to coral. Mine get mysis and Red Sea A/B

1693618735041.png
1693618751674.png
1693618767006.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I direct feed my coral a mix of reef roids and coral cane once a week. Both powdered foods. I also broadcast feed Redsea AB one a week. Should I be doing more?
While it should work, try mysis and even fish eggs also. Best is to turn pumps off a few minutes and feed - you will see them close up

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

IMG_3210.jpeg

Happen to know the names of the strains that didn't make it?

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I add 1 drop of kent lugols solution weekly. My tank is a 50 gallon.
That is likely no where near enough to maintain appropriate iodine levels. However, without ICP test its all a guess but a few well experienced dosing groups show about 2-3 drops per 100 gallons daily to be a good target baseline. One large dose although convenient just does not yield the same results that daily dosing achieves. Too much of the weekly or monthly dose is removed from the system before being bio-available to the corals; just my opinion.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back