melting zoas

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out why my zoas melted away to nothing, their gone. had them for 7 years then within 1/2 a day melted and now their gone!
last year I had the same thing happen to my other Zoas as well melted over a period of a few weeks then gone...
all other corals are doing fine and growing being it's a mixed tank of sps,lps and softies..
Tank is 5 years running & parameters seem good and they have been steady for quite a while:
what the heck can it be??????
7.73 dkh
420 cal.
1462 Mag.
Ph 8.3 -8.5
Po4: .22 has always been this number and higher in the past
No3 : 35.2 always has been of a higher reading for years
recent ICP came in with 1 red arrow only Iodine was elevated.

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see you get an answer as this happened to me a few months back and frog spawn always looked great. I have 3 polyps left and they are just starting to make a comeback

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out why my zoas melted away to nothing, their gone. had them for 7 years then within 1/2 a day melted and now their gone!
last year I had the same thing happen to my other Zoas as well melted over a period of a few weeks then gone...
all other corals are doing fine and growing being it's a mixed tank of sps,lps and softies..
Tank is 5 years running & parameters seem good and they have been steady for quite a while:
7.73 dkh
420 cal.
1462 Mag.
Ph 8.3 -8.5
Any sponges suffocating them? I had a grey sponge that exploded in growth and suffocated my utter chaos colony. I have two polyps left.

I also had similar happen. Never found out what it was. I assumed some type of bacteria infection. Used the kfc dip protocol, and stopped the death. It took almost 6 months before I saw new polyp growth

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.73 dkh
420 cal.
1462 Mag.
Ph 8.3 -8.5
Sounds like an established tank with zoas that have grown through the good and the bad. What I've seen though is that eventually you get an ionic imbalance that complicated nutrient buildup.

That said, I have had something similar happen to me. What I did was target lower nutrient levels including 0.03 - 0.1 phosphate and 3-10 nitrate.

OP
OP
rickster

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an established tank with zoas that have grown through the good and the bad. What I've seen though is that eventually you get an ionic imbalance that complicated nutrient buildup.

That said, I have had something similar happen to me. What I did was target lower nutrient levels including 0.03 - 0.1 phosphate and 3-10 nitrate.
Yes, I was thinking some sort of imbalance, but they were living in the higher no3 & po4 for years. So it’s got to be something else. But i might never know. !

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was thinking some sort of imbalance, but they were living in the higher no3 & po4 for years. So it’s got to be something else. But i might never know. !
I have a thread that documented almost a years worth of troubleshooting zoa melt issues when most test indicated a healthy tank. To this day I still can not for certain put my finger on the exact issue, but I do believe it boiled down to a depletion or imbalance of trace elements which cause all sorts of issues with Zoa's more specifically an interruption to their metabolic process. In my previous experience, when the iodine levels jumped in my tank it was a gold indication that something was lacking or imbalanced in the tank (trace/minor elements) that caused iodine to stop being consumed. If you are serious about fixing your tank, get started with Reef Moonshiners now and save yourself all the hassles I went through and save the money you have invested in frags.

OP
OP
rickster

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thread that documented almost a years worth of troubleshooting zoa melt issues when most test indicated a healthy tank. To this day I still can not for certain put my finger on the exact issue, but I do believe it boiled down to a depletion or imbalance of trace elements which cause all sorts of issues with Zoa's more specifically an interruption to their metabolic process. In my previous experience, when the iodine levels jumped in my tank it was a gold indication that something was lacking or imbalanced in the tank (trace/minor elements) that caused iodine to stop being consumed. If you are serious about fixing your tank, get started with Reef Moonshiners now and save yourself all the hassles I went through and save the money you have invested in frags.
Funny you should mention that I started RM method 5 weeks ago.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this thread many times and they never end with an answer, sorry. I had some fruit loops close up for a couple weeks. Didn’t think anything about it because all my other zoas were doing fine and I just figured they were pouting. Then I noticed the cause was an aptasia, zapped it with lemon juice. The fruit loops slowly melted.

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 one to start then another 4 weeks later, so far
What I am getting after with my question is my tank was drinking Boron, Barium and Fluoride for months before I finally was able to get levels that did not need large one time corrections. Give it a few more tests/adjustments, you should see good trends.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some people dont wash their hands after they use the bathroom; what is your point?
what-are-you-talking-about-huh.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back