Zoa order

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently only four corals in my tank (it's a year old and was started from another tank that was 5 months old); two zoa's (one is a rasta and I don't know the other), two mushrooms (one green and red and a bubble shroom). I have these zoas (and a few others) coming from aquarium depot:
- Radioactive Dragon Eye
- Alien Eye
- Morning Glory
- Pink Gobstopper
- Candy Apple
- (and my absolute favorite) Yoda Zoanthids (I'm a star wars fan)
There are a lot of other corals, but I think thats all the zoas.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. You'll have to post some pictures once you get them into the tank.

Are you planning on dipping and quarantining them before putting them into your main display?

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually probably will quarantine for 2-3 days (I'm not 100% sure about this place, but if they do have healthy livestock, then they may be the best place to get coral from, prices and selection were awesome), I have a little 15 gallon biocube I'll use, I probably won't dip though, I never do and haven't had a problem yet. I may not quarantine at all though, I only have 4 corals and an anemone in the tank. Plus I run UV, skimmer, sump, and an oversized refugium, so I'm pretty confident in my filtration.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually probably will quarantine for 2-3 days (I'm not 100% sure about this place, but if they do have healthy livestock, then they may be the best place to get coral from, prices and selection were awesome), I have a little 15 gallon biocube I'll use, I probably won't dip though, I never do and haven't had a problem yet. I may not quarantine at all though, I only have 4 corals and an anemone in the tank. Plus I run UV, skimmer, sump, and an oversized refugium, so I'm pretty confident in my filtration.
I respect your decision but highly recommend a dip when receiving and another before going into your display at a minimum.

Bayer insecticide is $8 and will last you a long time. After you are done using it, it breaks down once left in the sun in a clear container for a few days and becomes safe to dispose.

Zoa spiders among other pests are no fun to try and remove after the fact.

Either way good luck and post up some pics once you receive them!

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'll try to get some, I'm still only a year into this, I'm eager to learn and I know you probably know a ton more than me, thanks for the advice. I'm sure my LFS has some in stock.
P.S. I bought a new watchman goby for my lonely pistol shrimp today, even though the goby is very small, the shrimp recognized the goby and within hours cohabitational symbiosis began.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'll try to get some, I'm still only a year into this, I'm eager to learn and I know you probably know a ton more than me, thanks for the advice. I'm sure my LFS has some in stock.
P.S. I bought a new watchman goby for my lonely pistol shrimp today, even though the goby is very small, the shrimp recognized the goby and within hours cohabitational symbiosis began.
It is crazy isn't it!

By the way, you can pick it up at Lowe's or Home Depot!

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't go by lowe's today, so I swung by my LFS and picked up some "Reef Dip," the corals come in tomorrow and I'm pretty excited, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dipped the coral and it all looks super healthy. I then rinsed it and put in the aquarium. 5/5 stars for aquarium depot, really really stand up job. I've got pictures of all the corals (and my two peppermint shrimp) and they are still hiding (except for the blue clove, he opened almost immediately).

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are pics before and after. I think you'll be able to tell, I took the "after" pics yesterday. Everything looks fine, but I think I may have lost 2 zoas and almost positively the gorgonian. I just ordered another Current USA light and pump, as well as another yellow watchman baby and a clownfish pair, as well as a cleaner shrimp and another ricordea shroom. Those will hopefully be here before the end of the week and hopefully I'll have a good pair of watchman (watchmen?) gobies by the end of the year.

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I see they didn't exactly paste in order, but I'd bet you guys can kinda tell.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a word of warning, be careful where you place those blue clove polyps. They can become invasive. I would isolate them on thier own rock or in the sandbed, once they grow into your rock work they are very difficult to get rid of.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a word of warning, be careful where you place those blue clove polyps. They can become invasive. I would isolate them on thier own rock or in the sandbed, once they grow into your rock work they are very difficult to get rid of.
2nd this..

Isolate or remove for sure!

Back