Zoa pox ? Or what is this ? And how to treat

MohamedF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone , I got those few days ago, I didn’t dip them “ last time ever “ .. and since then they didn’t open and are like that .. is that zoa pox ? And how to treat them without medicine like furan ? Will dipping in hydrogen peroxide work ? Thanks .

85CBD2DA-98E1-46CE-8E71-4EAD70145F0B.jpeg 85BEB48B-14C2-429B-825A-360775E5CC43.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
DOES appear to be pox. Zoa pox is the name given to the zoanthid disease characterized by tiny growths on the side of the affected zoas. I’m not sure whether the growths/pustules themselves irritate the polyps and cause them to close up, or if the coral is otherwise sickly and closed up (therefore showing the zoa pox), but the bottom line is that if you see zoa pox, you have a sick coral. Plan to treat with Furan 2.
You must treat the entire population of zoanthids whether there are physical signs of infestation or not. I would not waiver on this

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Pox looks like terrible whiteheads. To my eye that appears to be a bacterial issue affecting the skin/coating. Is it possible they were heat damaged in shipping?

Hydrogen peroxide dips are harsh on zoas and are a 'last resort' treatment for stubborn algae, usually GHA.

Furan-2 has been the go-two for treating pox, however, it is no long available via API. To this point there's no alternative I'm aware of (yet).

You can use lugols as a dip. Its antibacterial properties can kill off some bacteria. It's what I'd call a 'small hammer'. I would suggest starting there. and doing a mild dip with a cup of aquarium water for 7-8mins.

The 'big hammer' is Chemi-clean which works as either a whole system treatment or a dip. This has been my go-to since furan was discontinued.

Here is a pic of Pox for reference. Note the well defined pustules.
0.jpg

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like pox to me but a bacterial infection. I got the same thing from a new colony I purchased from a LFS (not really local to me about two hours out). Killed off a lot of my Zoa before my UV sterilizer shut it down.

OP
OP
MohamedF

MohamedF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOES appear to be pox. Zoa pox is the name given to the zoanthid disease characterized by tiny growths on the side of the affected zoas. I’m not sure whether the growths/pustules themselves irritate the polyps and cause them to close up, or if the coral is otherwise sickly and closed up (therefore showing the zoa pox), but the bottom line is that if you see zoa pox, you have a sick coral. Plan to treat with Furan 2.
You must treat the entire population of zoanthids whether there are physical signs of infestation or not. I would not waiver on this
The problem is that furan is not available anymore .

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that furan is not available anymore .

Yup. Vette just usually copies and pastes info from blogs/articles written long ago and often out of date stuff. As someone else suggested you can try dip(or whole tank) chemiclean treatment. Worth trying dips in peroxide also to see if any impact.

OP
OP
MohamedF

MohamedF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pox looks like terrible whiteheads. To my eye that appears to be a bacterial issue affecting the skin/coating. Is it possible they were heat damaged in shipping?

Hydrogen peroxide dips are harsh on zoas and are a 'last resort' treatment for stubborn algae, usually GHA.

Furan-2 has been the go-two for treating pox, however, it is no long available via API. To this point there's no alternative I'm aware of (yet).

You can use lugols as a dip. Its antibacterial properties can kill off some bacteria. It's what I'd call a 'small hammer'. I would suggest starting there. and doing a mild dip with a cup of aquarium water for 7-8mins.

The 'big hammer' is Chemi-clean which works as either a whole system treatment or a dip. This has been my go-to since furan was discontinued.

Here is a pic of Pox for reference. Note the well defined pustules.
0.jpg
I tried to search white heads but didn’t find any as you said . So it might be really bacterial as you mentioned , I have my UV running 4 hr / day , I will try to search lugols as you mentioned . Should I try to remove this by hand or wait till I bring the dip ? Does it have a specific concentration like 3% or 5 % ? Thanks

Attachments

• 1F7BEF67-AB70-4D33-8B73-2A76B09EA119.jpeg
    1F7BEF67-AB70-4D33-8B73-2A76B09EA119.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
MohamedF

MohamedF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like pox to me but a bacterial infection. I got the same thing from a new colony I purchased from a LFS (not really local to me about two hours out). Killed off a lot of my Zoa before my UV sterilizer shut it down.
I started to believe it’s bacterial as you mentioned too . Did you treat it ?

Attachments

• A5A5B6D3-7660-4103-AA88-8591BCCE1F22.jpeg
    A5A5B6D3-7660-4103-AA88-8591BCCE1F22.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 88

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yup. Vette just usually copies and pastes info from blogs/articles written long ago and often out of date stuff. As someone else suggested you can try dip(or whole tank) chemiclean treatment. Worth trying dips in peroxide also to see if any impact.
I’m at work and trying to help
Where are you helping others- tired of you already- insults are not part of forums
Another idiot now blocked

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you helping others- tired of you already- insults are not part of forums

I help people on here constantly...and if i am copying large paragraphs of others work i quote them and link to source. It is not only the decent thing to do it is also part of the TOS of this site. It is really not hard to do. For example for you post earlier i can do it in 5 seconds below.

Zoa pox is the name given to the zoanthid disease characterized by tiny growths on the side of the affected zoas. I’m not sure whether the growths/pustules themselves irritate the polyps and cause them to close up, or if the coral is otherwise sickly and closed up (therefore showing the zoa pox), but the bottom line is that if you see zoa pox, you have a sick coral. Plan to treat with Furan 2.
This info is from saltwateraquariumblog.com here.

OP
OP
MohamedF

MohamedF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok brother , you helped me already in another issue and you are doing your best , just chill please , as you said it’s not a place for fights . Thanks for your help brother .

OP
OP
MohamedF

MohamedF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I help people on here constantly...and if i am copying large paragraphs of others work i quote them and link to source. It is not only the decent thing to do it is also part of the TOS of this site. It is really not hard to do. For example for you post earlier i can do it in 5 seconds below.

This info is from saltwateraquariumblog.com here.
I hate to see this because of me . Just chill and let it go .
I will kill the zoa if you don’t stop hahahaha .
I will try to find iodine if not then I will dip in peroxide and let’s hope they survive . I will keep you updated here .. let’s pray

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I started to believe it’s bacterial as you mentioned too . Did you treat it ?

I suspect it was likely heat damaged in transit given the appearance.

It's sloughing off tissue, I would leave it alone until you are able to dip. Lugol's should be available at your LFS or next day amazon. It is a highly concentrated iodine so less is more. I usually go 2-3 drops for 2 cups of water. If you have an air stone you can toss in to help agitate the water its a bonus IMO. 7-8 mins and out, give it a day or two to see how it responds and then perhaps another dip.

@vetteguy53081 I appreciate that want you help folks even if I disagree with your conclusions. While furan-2 would be help for either pox or a bacterial infection (such as we have here), it's no longer regularly available so we need to collectively figure out what our alternatives are - especially for treating Pox. In this case Lugol's or chemi-clean should get the job done.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I hate to see this because of me . Just chill and let it go .
I will kill the zoa if you don’t stop hahahaha .
I will try to find iodine if not then I will dip in peroxide and let’s hope they survive . I will keep you updated here .. let’s pray
Strongly suggest not to do peroxide, that's not going to help here and will irritate the tissue further.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
In my experience with zoas it is very good at bacteria and/or fungus issues and very safe to the zoas themselves.
@zoaprince yup, I was going to mention that in my original post but decided not to, but excellent observation.

@mdb_talon we can disagree on that point. I'm also not a fan or Coral Rx after using it in my regiment for a few months but I know other folks that swear by it. Many ways to skin the proverbial cat. I would, however, give @MohamedF an idea of the concentration they should aim for (unless I missed it). I think we can both agree that a proper diagnosis and actually being able to get the materials (and in a timely fashion), whatever treatment path they choose, is key.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I suspect it was likely heat damaged in transit given the appearance.

It's sloughing off tissue, I would leave it alone until you are able to dip. Lugol's should be available at your LFS or next day amazon. It is a highly concentrated iodine so less is more. I usually go 2-3 drops for 2 cups of water. If you have an air stone you can toss in to help agitate the water its a bonus IMO. 7-8 mins and out, give it a day or two to see how it responds and then perhaps another dip.

@vetteguy53081 I appreciate that want you help folks even if I disagree with your conclusions. While furan-2 would be help for either pox or a bacterial infection (such as we have here), it's no longer regularly available so we need to collectively figure out what our alternatives are - especially for treating Pox. In this case Lugol's or chemi-clean should get the job done.
Iodine diluted may be your next options. Main ingredient for furan is nitrofurazone if you can find that.
Have you tried Chewy and Ebay for Furan-2? About a month ago, Furan was still available from them

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s ok brother , you helped me already in another issue and you are doing your best , just chill please , as you said it’s not a place for fights . Thanks for your help brother .
Realize this has been more than once with others also. After a point you get weary of such insults.
Hundreds wonder where I find time or ask if I ever sleep in the interest of helping others respectfully. Its different when I have the evening free in lieu of 2 minutes at work to give an answer and hopefully hear later that there is some form of improvement/recovery. You will never hear me insult others or laugh at them but rather offer something positive. In this case, it was past time for me to block the indivdual.
Its no cause of yours and I want to see your zoa recover over anything else

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize this has been more than once with others also. After a point you get weary of such insults.
Hundreds wonder where I find time or ask if I ever sleep in the interest of helping others respectfully. Its different when I have the evening free in lieu of 2 minutes at work to give an answer and hopefully hear later that there is some form of improvement/recovery. You will never hear me insult others or laugh at them but rather offer something positive. In this case, it was past time for me to block the indivdual.
Its no cause of yours and I want to see your zoa recover over anything else

Lol i never insulted you just pointed out many of your posts are just copying/pasting other peoples opinions/facts/research and because of that some of your guidance is outdated. Also pointed out you wont credit the author and take thier words as your own. Not only is that a crappy thing to do it is against the ToS of this site(which sadly I have never seen them enforce).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back