Zoa Trouble

Baldee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago, I did a H2O2 dip on my zoas. It was roughly 50/50 of 3% H2O2 (maybe a tad more H2O2). I read several posts on how to do it and I have even done it once or twice in the past with pleasant success. However, this time I left failed to ensure the polyps were fully closed prior to dipping. I put them in the dip for about 7 minutes, rinsed them them in two separate containers of tank water and the moved them back into the tank.

A week later, they still have not opened and there is a brown film covering a few. there was black pieces that appeared to be coming out of one zoa (possibly part of the skirt?).

I guess what I am asking is if they will recover? What further steps do I need to take?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mess with them for a while. Sometimes they open back up for me right away, sometimes they die back a little and then rebound, but sometimes they do just melt away but that’s rare.

OP
OP
Baldee

Baldee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mess with them for a while. Sometimes they open back up for me right away, sometimes they die back a little and then rebound, but sometimes they do just melt away but that’s rare.
Good advice. I just watched them for about a week now and they started to open. My favorite ones look like they will bounce back. I definitely learned a lesson here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good advice. I just watched them for about a week now and they started to open. My favorite ones look like they will bounce back. I definitely learned a lesson here.
Assure not too much light or water flow.
also assure good water quality :
dKH: 8.0 - 11.0
Calcium: 400 - 440
Magnesium: 1300 - 1350
Iodide: Maintained via regular water changes or manually at small dosages
Temperature: 78-79 degrees
pH: 8.1-8.3
Phosphates: .04 - .06
Nitrates < 10

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this a week ago as well with a colony of orange bam bams. About half of them are open now. Just let them be. No need to stress. Most zoas are pretty tough. :)

Back