Zoanthid closing expelling brown

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers

I recently purchased a zoanthid colony “armor of god mixed with what look to be small bob marley” and have been dealing with an issue since receiving them.

The zoanthid colony has a really long neck which isn’t the issue thought I would mention. I heard that comes from lack of light and zoanthid a teaching and received them in this condition.

The issue is they are closing up and expelling darkish sometimes light brown slime. Are they okay if they are closed while expelling this? Will the flow naturally remove this or will the zoanthid expel it all?

I should also mention there was a good amount of build up around their base which I cleaned yesterday which looked similar to leather coral sheddings.

They are in medium- low flow bottom of tank under viparspectra 165 w 46% blue 23% white in a 40 gallon breeder.

Thank you in advanced I really would love to get more zoanthid a and want to learn all I can. Stock is 5 small colonies armor of god&bob Marley mix, Green Bay packers, Sakura sunrise, 2 unID’d

843AD8BF-0E9F-4D6E-B606-FCC4A08C072E.jpeg

0A4F9FCD-0293-4CF2-A86C-99EDC03787CC.jpeg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your Zoanthids are doing is expelling it’s zooxanthellae. Zooxanthellae is a symbiotic dinoflagellate that lives in its host Zoanthid or Palythoa. It has a mutualistic relationship with many types of coral. Zoanthids and Palythoas provide a protective living platform while providing compounds necessary for photosynthesis. In return it provides nutrients for the coral, pigmentation, aids in waste removal and provides oxygen.
Any way to make a long story short, the polyps are releasing one strain of zooxanthellae for another that is better able to meet the requirements of the polyps. There are different genetic types or clades of zooanthellae, each with different ways of assisting corals deal with parameters such as temperature variances.
When a coral expels it’s zooxanthellae for an extended of time, bleaching occurs and death usually results if parameters are not restored to suitable conditions.

OP
OP
DanSavesTheDay

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your Zoanthids are doing is expelling it’s zooxanthellae. Zooxanthellae is a symbiotic dinoflagellate that lives in its host Zoanthid or Palythoa. It has a mutualistic relationship with many types of coral. Zoanthids and Palythoas provide a protective living platform while providing compounds necessary for photosynthesis. In return it provides nutrients for the coral, pigmentation, aids in waste removal and provides oxygen.
Any way to make a long story short, the polyps are releasing one strain of zooxanthellae for another that is better able to meet the requirements of the polyps. There are different genetic types or clades of zooanthellae, each with different ways of assisting corals deal with parameters such as temperature variances.
When a coral expels it’s zooxanthellae for an extended of time, bleaching occurs and death usually results if parameters are not restored to suitable conditions.

Thank you for the response I let it expel it on it's own without me messing with it at all and it expelled all and fully opened.

It looks as if the necks are shortening just a little but I suspect that's because my lights are much stronger than the person I received them from.

Hopefully all stays well

Thank you :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response I let it expel it on it's own without me messing with it at all and it expelled all and fully opened.

It looks as if the necks are shortening just a little but I suspect that's because my lights are much stronger than the person I received them from.

Hopefully all stays well

Thank you :)
As long as they are fully opened that sounds good :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back