Zoanthid Help

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F67EBC69-B561-4D51-8EDF-59A263BA9743.jpeg

Why are the front ones, looking thin and flimsy. But the back ones are looking thick and strong? Could anytone help me?

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F67EBC69-B561-4D51-8EDF-59A263BA9743.jpeg

Why are the front ones, looking thin and flimsy. But the back ones are looking thick and strong? Could anytone help me?
558F5314-515E-4087-9601-EB1E5A7D1E42.jpeg

Also had these a couple days back look like this. Alot of mt zoas in my tank are acting up and i have no idea why. I did a 20% water change 2 days ago and see no improvement. Im trying to figure out why everyone doesn tlook happy.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some algae on the plug but we need to know a lot more info. Current parameters? Age of tank? LIghting? Some zoas like more like then others but yours seem to be withering away so there may be an acclimation issue or something is off in the tank.

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params? lights? tank age? flow?
Flow i have right under this rack facing where i took the picture a slw-10 about 3 ticks in. Saying maybe medium to lower end flow. + my return over head but id say lower flow.
ph 7.9
Salinity 1.024-1.025
Alk - dont know the number but not low
Calc - dont know the number but not low
Am - i had at 1 last time i tested
Im running to the store as of right now to get my paramd again. Last time intested was before water change.

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some algae on the plug but we need to know a lot more info. Current parameters? Age of tank? LIghting? Some zoas like more like then others but yours seem to be withering away so there may be an acclimation issue or something is off in the tank.
BBB6D390-47E3-42DD-B928-C9A93B5C2563.png
This is my light schedule, highest point beinf royal blue doesnt pass 95% running dual ai primes

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.00 ammonia?? your tank is not ready for fish let alone corals.
Flow i have right under this rack facing where i took the picture a slw-10 about 3 ticks in. Saying maybe medium to lower end flow. + my return over head but id say lower flow.
ph 7.9
Salinity 1.024-1.025
Alk - dont know the number but not low
Calc - dont know the number but not low
Am - i had at 1 last time i tested
Im running to the store as of right now to get my paramd again. Last time intested was before water change.

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.00 ammonia?? your tank is not ready for fish let alone corals.
Thats what I remember it reading on the revospin, going back to get exact params will have a picture posted in 20 minutes. Tank is about 8-9 months old.

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 83538BED-148E-4C2B-92DB-BBBEABE464C6.jpeg
    83538BED-148E-4C2B-92DB-BBBEABE464C6.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my params, i dont even understand why the hell my mg is so high. I dont dose mg, thats from a water change alone.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium is super low, but that isnt the issue here, 1.0 ammonia isnt very good. Your tank isnt really ready for life at 1.0 ammonia thats for sure. .25 ammonia is maximum recommended for marine life.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I remember it reading on the revospin, going back to get exact params will have a picture posted in 20 minutes. Tank is about 8-9 months old.
if tank is 8-9 months old and you have ammonia and nitrite, make sure there is not something dead and decaying in your water. there should not be readings for these parameters, ever, after a tank has completed it's cycle.

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if tank is 8-9 months old and you have ammonia and nitrite, make sure there is not something dead and decaying in your water. there should not be readings for these parameters, ever, after a tank has completed it's cycle.
Its super weird, because all my fish are alive, tou think maybe a crab could cause this. I think maybe an emerald crab in my sump

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revospin 360 at my local fish store.
I have never heard of this type of test. I use Salifert test kits, moved from API because the phosphate range of API is pointless. Maybe purchase some of your individual test kits.

I know you're asking about your zoas and I will try to help there, but the much bigger concern is the presence of ammonia and nitrite in your tank. nothing will last long if those parameters are truly what the tests say there are.

when zoas are long and stringy like that it is usually an indication of them reaching up for more light, so you might need heavier duty lights or move the zoas further up on the tanks rockscape. also ensure there is enough flow

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the numbers make me question the test validity. ammonia at a solid 1, you would see fish dying off, or at least struggling. your phosphate is quite high as well. many zoas like high phosphate, but i have seen some that just dont like phosphates that are excessive. i would say your phosphates are excessive, if the test is right. but, your nitrate numbers dont really add up to be comparative to that high of phosphates.
even though this is not the cause of your issue, your alk and calcium, to me is quite low, even for non reef salt, especially compared to where your magnesium is.
nitrite having a reading makes sense, if the ammonia reading is right. i would say that at the very least, assuming that the numbers are right, ammonia is a cause here.

in the end, i would question the validity of the test. the numbers are so far out that i dont know that i would trust them

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of this type of test. I use Salifert test kits, moved from API because the phosphate range of API is pointless. Maybe purchase some of your individual test kits.

I know you're asking about your zoas and I will try to help there, but the much bigger concern is the presence of ammonia and nitrite in your tank. nothing will last long if those parameters are truly what the tests say there are.

when zoas are long and stringy like that it is usually an indication of them reaching up for more light, so you might need heavier duty lights or move the zoas further up on the tanks rockscape. also ensure there is enough flow
I had a feeling i was blasting them with too much light

OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium is super low, but that isnt the issue here, 1.0 ammonia isnt very good. Your tank isnt really ready for life at 1.0 ammonia thats for sure. .25 ammonia is maximum recommended for marine life.
Was looking in my sump, and i had a toadstool in there looking like it was dying. Could that cause the ammonia spike?

Back