Algae??

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this, sorry for the pic it’s the best I can do. It’s in the back glass only. My front glass gets algae also but this stuff is thick and looks very dark green or black. It’s never this color or this thick on my front glass. My phosphates are .05, did two test, nitrates were 12.7. I use the Hanna checkers. Thanks

IMG_4514.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s seems to be a totally different algae than on the other 3 glass sides of my tank. Seems thicker and like I said almost black.

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's just not build up of what you scrape on the front and side glass, but do not scrape off the back glass?

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's just not build up of what you scrape on the front and side glass, but do not scrape off the back glass?
Not sure to be honest I guess it could be I just feel I clean both the front and back and the same times but maybe not. Maybe I do clean the front more than I realize and maybe it’s that. So if I did t clean the front as often it would get that dark and thick over time?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can anyone identify this, sorry for the pic it’s the best I can do. It’s in the back glass only. My front glass gets algae also but this stuff is thick and looks very dark green or black. It’s never this color or this thick on my front glass. My phosphates are .05, did two test, nitrates were 12.7. I use the Hanna checkers. Thanks

IMG_4514.jpeg
Before determining anything. please furnish clear pics using white light intensity only. Probably film algae but anything is just a guess. This is what we see:

1707782133674.png

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure to be honest I guess it could be I just feel I clean both the front and back and the same times but maybe not. Maybe I do clean the front more than I realize and maybe it’s that. So if I did t clean the front as often it would get that dark and thick over time?
I'm not 100% positive, but I would think so. I try to scrape my front and side glass every day. If I don't, it gets pretty dirty by day 3 or so. Now imagine not doing it for weeks, or months. I scrape my back glass every month or so and by the time I do scrape it, it looks really bad too.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% positive, but I would think so. I try to scrape my front and side glass every day. If I don't, it gets pretty dirty by day 3 or so. Now imagine not doing it for weeks, or months. I scrape my back glass every month or so and by the time I do scrape it, it looks really bad too.
Makes sense yeah, I cleaned both today so I’ll leave it and see until I’m ready to clean the front, the other thing is the blue background on the back that probably doesn’t show the light algae like the front glass shows after a few days

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep same stuff I let the front glass go a while so it must just be I clean the front more than the back.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a week of build up happening to fast? Meaning it got pretty bad in only a week? Is that normal.

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a week of build up happening to fast? Meaning it got pretty bad in only a week? Is that normal.
I notice buildup starting within a day of scraping the glass. If I don't scrape it, it looks pretty bad after 3 or so days. I only scrape the back glass maybe every month or so and by the time I do, it's pretty caked on.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice buildup starting within a day of scraping the glass. If I don't scrape it, it looks pretty bad after 3 or so days. I only scrape the back glass maybe every month or so and by the time I do, it's pretty caked on.
Ok then nothing to worry about just the nature of the hobby seems like

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back