Zoanthid Only Thermos Swap: Are you interested?

You interested in a Zoanthid thermos swap?

• YES

Votes: 169 60.1%
  • NO

Votes: 61 21.7%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 51 18.1%

• Total voters

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea tbh, but how do we moderate this. Like if someone has mid tier to high end. What stops them from sending like a white zombie, GMK, awesome blossom etc… and then receiving a polyp of like mohawk zoas or pandoras, captain jerks. Ya know the ones everybody has to scrape off frag racks to get rid of em?

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea tbh, but how do we moderate this. Like if someone has mid tier to high end. What stops them from sending like a white zombie, GMK, awesome blossom etc… and then receiving a polyp of like mohawk zoas or pandoras, captain jerks. Ya know the ones everybody has to scrape off frag racks to get rid of em?
50 of these != 1 GMK?
1716420508720.jpeg

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 of these != 1 GMK?
1716420508720.jpeg
Nah haha i wouldnt. They hitch hike enough on corals i have bought, but i was saying there are no rules to this. Like you could trade all 50 of those in single polyp frags for whatever ppl trade. I feel like there should be exclusions or tiers or something so someone doesnt feel ditched by trying to and I quote “grow their collection” because someone sent them weeds in the mail.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah haha i wouldnt. They hitch hike enough on corals i have bought, but i was saying there are no rules to this. Like you could trade all 50 of those in single polyp frags for whatever ppl trade. I feel like there should be exclusions or tiers or something so someone doesnt feel ditched by trying to and I quote “grow their collection” because someone sent them weeds in the mail.
I don't think I would give these away! I've decided they can take over the back wall, but they aren't welcome anywhere else.

A bit of quality control and appropriate matching would be nice.

dwarfseahorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REVISITING MAY/JUNE 2024!

Lots of details to work out on this but I did want to gauge some interest on it. Here would be a few general rules just to get you thinking if you would want to join.

1. We would let you pair yourself up with the person of your choosing based on what zoas they had to trade.

2. We would all ship in a thermos like this maybe? Inside a shipping box of course.

3. We would ship USPS priority (free box) which would probably be 2 days for everyone in the lower 48. (fine for well packed zoas)

I have ordered the thermos I linked to and will have it tomorrow to review and to see how many frags we can fit.

I think after the thermos and shipping we should be able to keep it under $20 possibly.

Anyone interested? Also would love to hear your ideas.

712lpATnXaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Sounds like a really fun thing to try. I'm in.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to start working on the logistics of this and how we (the forum) can assist in making this happen. Any suggestions or things we should consider? My list so far:

1. Create a forum just for this swap
2. Try to pair up people that live in the same regions if possible.

What else?
Use pirate ship.com for discounted shipping rates.

jrlmsla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do this in the future. My corals consist of 5 zoa frags right now so nothing to trade.
Any chance I could buy two thermos cups and ship them to someone so they could ship one back with some zoas for me to start, and then they also have a cup they can use to trade with someone else?

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do this in the future. My corals consist of 5 zoa frags right now so nothing to trade.
Any chance I could buy two thermos cups and ship them to someone so they could ship one back with some zoas for me to start, and then they also have a cup they can use to trade with someone else?
Throw in the shipping label and I can do this. Anything to avoid judiciously scrutinized reefing charges on my account! I think Rev said the container should fit ~5 frags, so that'll double you up. I'll squeeze whatever I can in there. See my previous post and see what you like. Note: it's not going to be fast--I have to make time in office hours to frag, but I'll get them and then you can send me the containers/label (prob easier to Amazon it right to my office). FYI, Pirate Ship has the good label prices, but we can see what Rev cooks up!

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
@revhtree my two cents

I love this idea brings me back to penpal days lol. I think you should just do some type of random pair. Me personally I feel that getting paired with someone in California and I’m in Pa would be cool. I also feel getting paired with someone who does not have high end corals and all they have is lower end I’m okay with that. If people doing this understand your spending 100 dollars regardless and the person on the other end you could really make happy.

It’s a story in your tank. it’s different.

Side note. what if you add them to write a letter about there reefing journey in the box

Hope this helps

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me another year to grow out the rest of my Zoa Gardens, and I'll definately be interested. The "desirables" I have currently are Grand Master Krak, Green Bay Packer, Scrambled Egg, Bob Marley, Oompa Loompa, Alpha Omega, and Utter Chaos.

They only ones I could frag right now are maybe some scrambled eggs and I am not ready myself yet.

Thanks for the reaching out to me though, I really appreciate that!! Maybe Next Year!!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was part of these thermos swaps many years ago and we picked who we wanted to trade with and what we were trading out of our own collection for something we wanted in someone else's.
I would not want to be part of anything else.
There should be a list of who, has what to trade, and then you pick who you want to trade with.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was part of these thermos swaps many years ago and we picked who we wanted to trade with and what we were trading out of our own collection for something we wanted in someone else's.
I would not want to be part of anything else.
There should be a list of who, has what to trade, and then you pick who you want to trade with.
This is how we are going to do it this first round.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 49 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.2%
Back