Zoanthid Pest

Nick Palladino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I put some zoanthid frags in my tank about a week ago, and I noticed these pests on one of the frags. It looks like aiptasia to me but I'm not sure because it's brown and very tiny. So far I have noticed two of them. They are both moving, and can retract into a very tiny ball. One of them is actually on a fake rock right next to the frag, so it either moved or was brushed onto the rock. What should I do? Thanks.

I should also mention I dipped my zoanthids with both Revive and Seachem Reef Dip before introducing them to the tank.

IMG_20190807_161042.jpg IMG_20190807_161357.jpg Screenshot at Aug 07 18-10-25.png

OP
OP
Nick Palladino

Nick Palladino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any further steps I should take? I know that with aiptasia, they can come back after being removed with tweezers. Also, I would like to identify it if possible.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen those before. They retract to light and movement so hard to kill with Kalk paste. They are not aiptasia. But they don't multiply like aiptasia thankfully. I don't know if they irritate things. Absent other suggestions, I would scrape/pinch/remove.

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After removal of the pest dip the coral in a bowl of tank water to rinse it off. Done this before with aiptasia and never had a problem after that. As far as ID, it looks like aiptasia but without a clearer picture it's hard to tell. Time is not on your side when it comes to pests. Get them out ASAP or you will see more of them.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back