Zoanthid Pest

Nick Palladino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I put some zoanthid frags in my tank about a week ago, and I noticed these pests on one of the frags. It looks like aiptasia to me but I'm not sure because it's brown and very tiny. So far I have noticed two of them. They are both moving, and can retract into a very tiny ball. One of them is actually on a fake rock right next to the frag, so it either moved or was brushed onto the rock. What should I do? Thanks.

I should also mention I dipped my zoanthids with both Revive and Seachem Reef Dip before introducing them to the tank.

IMG_20190807_161042.jpg IMG_20190807_161357.jpg Screenshot at Aug 07 18-10-25.png

OP
OP
Nick Palladino

Nick Palladino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any further steps I should take? I know that with aiptasia, they can come back after being removed with tweezers. Also, I would like to identify it if possible.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen those before. They retract to light and movement so hard to kill with Kalk paste. They are not aiptasia. But they don't multiply like aiptasia thankfully. I don't know if they irritate things. Absent other suggestions, I would scrape/pinch/remove.

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After removal of the pest dip the coral in a bowl of tank water to rinse it off. Done this before with aiptasia and never had a problem after that. As far as ID, it looks like aiptasia but without a clearer picture it's hard to tell. Time is not on your side when it comes to pests. Get them out ASAP or you will see more of them.

Back